Mushroom vs leaf/sawdust compost

Cleveland, OH

I have the choice of purchasing Mushroom compost or a leaf/sawdust compost. Is one preferable to the other? My goal would be to add some structure to the otherwise "towards the clay side" soil and add some nutrition. As I've read around a bit, both at this site and elsewhere, it seems that many are ecstatic about mushroom compost, but I've also read that there is a risk of it having salt in it, a tendency to shift the soil towards a more basic pH, and that it has minimal nutritional quality as most was depleted by Mushroom growth. Are these real problems? Does leaf /sawdust compost have good nutritional qualities and positive effects on soil structure? From my reading, it seems that with this compost it's important to know that it doesn't contain pressure treated wood, and that the sawdust be fully decomposed.

The compost would be used to amend the soil in a perennial bed that will be replanted this fall.

I thank you ahead of time for any advice.

Thanks!

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, I did not know about the salt in Mushroom compost. When I first started looking for compost for my bad clay, one company that sold several types of compost talked a whole lot about the mushroom compost. I did not research it, but bought some cheaper compost somewhere else. I have read that the sawdust is supposed to really help with clay structure but that if it is not well composted would raise the Ph, which would be good for okra or grass, but not most veggies. I dump leaves and grass clippings onto my compost pile every chance that I get. I found a quarter-horse training facility on the internet which ended up being about half a mile from me and they were more than willing to let me have all the black gold I wanted and they had it mixed with sawdust which was a win win situation for my hardpan. I rented a dump trailer and took my loader over there and spent parts of two days loading manure. I am going to plant some lagumes, rye, and alfalfa when my seed gets here and till it in next spring which should also help with the clay. A horse farm might be another option, but be sure to compost it or any weeds they have, you also will have. I probably was not much help, but I think the mushroom might have more nutrients from what the guy that sales it around here told me, which I probably would have used if it was not so pricey. Take care, Mike

Cleveland, OH

Thanks Mike,

I will not have time to make compost, and instead will need to purchase some to amend perennial beds later in October. If I determine that the leaf/sawdust compost is well decomposed, I think I am going to get some of that and mix it with some mushroom compost and hope for the best.

It sounds like you're going to have some nice soil soon with all that horse manure.

Good luck,

Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.