Dining area/kitchen table and seating dilemma. HELP!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We have an L shaped kitchen design in a fairly large kitchen. The space left for dining is 11 1/2 x 12 feet. I have to have seating for 8 people on a daily basis.

As it is now, we have a rectangle shaped 'farmhouse' style table. It just seems to take up the whole space even though it does not and it looks lopsided because the space is nearly square. How large of a round table would I need to seat 8 or is it even possible? Would it actually take up less room or seem like it does? I'm sort of wanky about things being symmetrical. I'm not freakishly set on it but right now it *looks* out of whack. There is a window (single window) centered on one wall and nothing on the other. The table just never looks like it really belongs there.

I'm considering doing built in seating on two sides with three chairs for the end and other side. My concern with that is that six of my diners are 13 and under. I have this vision of them climbing on the benches and one another to find the perfect seat. LOL

Anybody got any ideas? I can move the window, put in more windows, etc, just not right now. I don't think I can get a square table that would seat 8 without eating the whole kitchen??

This thread has 72 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!