Mold in the bin

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

It's some white fuzzy stuff and I'm just assuming it's mold. Recently added some shredded newspaper, could that be the culprit? More importantly, is it harmful?

Thanks for your help. Mary

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mold is the stuff that decomposes the material in your compost. Bacteria, mold, beetles, worms, centipedes etc all eat the paper into black gold.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ahhhh, whew. Thanks for the good news.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah -- don't try to sterilize your compost! It's almost the last thing humans do where we'll let nature take over. Compost makes the world go 'round.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah but could it go around a bit faster please? I try not to be an instant gratification kinda girl but scheesch, I need this stuff to be ready now - or sooner. :>0

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL! Ain't it the truth! If only those tumblers actually worked! Browse around for Sofer's advice -- he knows how to hasten it, turning it and adding things and all. I'm more of a "sooner or later" composter, not entirely by choice.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sorry I have been up in Alberta freezing my bottom paddling the N Sask River. Compost is a natural process that is simple for those of us who are patient. Speeding up the process is simply an understanding of how it works but a clear understanding is IT IS a slow process. I feel the impatience of gardeners is what drives the compost inventors to make a profit out of their ideas. Laying compost on the ground in a proper mixture with the ambient temperature adequate, access to the active miracle of nature will always produce superior compost. Using gimicks to SPEED UP the process is foolish to those of us who have patiently built up our compost levels gradually over a time of commitment to gardening.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ok ok, I know you are right. I am being patient [edited to say I am trying to be patient] and looking forward to next fall when I should have some awesome compost and the rotation system should be well in place providing a steady flow of black gold. Thanks all!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a picture of my waiting to compost stuff we all have seen the finished product. This pile was started after June 06 and will be ready here in Montana by April May 07. I have to wait even longer.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.