Aphids ... are they black and green?

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I found tiny black and green micro bugs on my miniroses. I sprayed with Pyola. Is there anything out there, preferably organic, that will kill these little tykes? Very frustrating to have new minis eaten. I don't have a picture ... I can't get my camera to focus that close.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Aphids come in many colors so it could be them, can't say for sure without a pic though. Did you by any chance notice ants crawling around on the roses? They farm them because they like the honeydew that the aphids secrete, so often the first way you discover you have aphids is by seeing the ants all over the plant, then when you look close you spot the aphids. I generally just hose them off with a strong jet of water, or you can kill them with a bit of dish soap in water or there are some organic or almost organic insecticidal soaps that you can buy too. I'm not familiar with Pyola, but aphids are pretty easy to kill so my guess would be it would take care of them too.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

thanks, ecrane. Pyola is from Gardens Alive ... worked. So, whatever those things were, they're just dead on the stems. No ants, though. I rarely see ants in my yard, which I hear is good and bad.

I used to live your way, grew up in Danville. How small is that?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It is a small world! I've run into several other DG'ers who grew up in this area too and now live somewhere else!

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I often shop Stoneridge Mall and used to frequent the Dublin Cinema. Cal High ... that's down your way, right?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know about Cal High--I live near Dublin High, don't know if there's another high school around or not, or maybe Dublin High used to be called that (I don't have kids so I never pay attention to the schools!). I do go to Stoneridge Mall though!

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Well, one out of two.... I am adding the aphid picture on my Green Rose. I hope you can see them. They are very white on this rose.

Thumbnail by pegdog
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't really make them out well enough to see if their aphids or not, but I know aphids love roses and there aren't too many little bugs that come in multiple colors like that, so I'm going to assume that's what they are!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.