help... japanese maple location

Woodstock, GA(Zone 7b)

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions. i went crazy and bought 6 jap maples because they were pretty and on a closeout special and now i am concerned that they will be too picky for where i am planning to put them. We are in georgia which zone 7b. I bought them to replace a bunch of camellias and a huge crimson queen that someone stole out of my yard. I want to put them in mostly full sun, would that be ok if i mulch heavily? The crimson queen was under a canopy of trees and i wanted to put something cheaper there since that is closest to the road, but if that is where these guys should go than i guess i will have to take the chance.
OK, here is what i bought:

2 each

Lions head maple
Katsura maple
Ukigumo Japanese Maple

what do you guys think? we are starting from scratch because our house has just been built.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The uki should NOT be in full sun ...it needs a little to look it's best but mostly shade would be best ... the Kat is sort of delicate also I would at least put in partial shade ..it's hotter than you know what down there ...you "might " get away with LM in full sun but expect some leaf burn ....generally speajking all jm's do best in morn sun and afternoon shade and in your area I'd put them in a little more shade ...there are varirties that will take full sun down there but expect some leaf tip burn at least ...I have come to the conclusion humidity also play a big part in reaping havock together with the hot summers and you have both in excess...this is just a "homeopathic" conclusion but I think heat with little humidity effects them less ...but in JA. there is both so who knows....good luck and I would suggest a bit more research before buying any more Jm's for a specific area ...not all info is gonna be correct but you will have a better chance in finding the right tree for the right spot there are several nurseries in atlanta that have JM's ..I don't know if you ever get down there ...but if you do a stop and chat with the local owners or operators may be usefull since they will have a better handle on your particular area...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The lion's head maple can be grown in full sun here but David is right. It will suffer some leaf burn. I haven't found many that don't burn to some extent.

Woodstock, GA(Zone 7b)

oh well, i have lots of places i can put them, i just wanted them front and center. i guess i should consider them more understory trees than full sun. i do have a side of the house that is mostly shade and i can intersperse other trees around the maples for even more shade. Our backyard has somewhat of a pine forest and i can plant on the edges to define paths. unfortunately i am one of those gardeners that purchases and then decides where things will go!! bad habit i know. thanks for your responses!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Not bad at all most of us do the same ...as long as you don't have a "mono" specific enviorment either all sun or all shade you should be fine... those folks are the ones that really need to research...you have choices it seems and as long as your first choice is nixed as you have stated all should go well...the edges of your woods defining paths sounds perfect for most jm's as long as you remember BOTH the "woods' and your jm's will grow and the amount of sun will likely change over time..you can always plant some "shade" trees out front and center and revisit the JM idea at a later date..you should be thoroughly addicted in a few years anyway ...especially if you have lots of places to put 'em ...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.