Using my compost!

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

Today I used 3 piles of compost I made this year. This was my first year composting so I was really exciting to finally see the work pay off. I used to buy soil amendments at the store and spend a fortune. I had no idea I was literally throwing away compost in my garbage. The whole time I added the compost to my garden I had a smile on my face thinking about how much money I saved.

I appreciate the information all of you put on this forum about composting. I couldn't have done it without all of the great advice. So all of you who have placed great information on this section of DG, pat yourself on the back. My compost piles worked!! I can finally say that I can join the composting crowd. If there is such a crowd. LOL I just started a new pile and I am wondering how it is going to work this winter. It is going to be interesting.

Constantly learning!!!
Lissy

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations Lissy! Great work. 3 piles of compost is a terrific achievement.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Yea it is amazing...I drive around my neighborhood on Monday morning (yard waste collection day) and I see bag after bag of yard waste (mostly lawn clippings) sitting out by the road. Too bad that with my small two-bin system I can only collect an occasional road side bag.

I don't make too much compost...probably about 1 cubic yard a year. I am always a little sad when I use up my last bit of finished compost. :-(

- Brent

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

Brent~ I can understand feeling kinda sad to use your last bit of compost. As much as I was excited to use it, I felt sad to not have my piles there to remind me of the work I had accomplished. I think that is why I made another compost pile the same day I used all my compost. I like to go outside each day and check on it. LOL

Next year I am going to plant corn in the garden bed I put all of my compost. I hope I have a bumper crop. (fingers crossed)

Garden Mermaid~ Thanks for the congrats!! I just had to share my excitement with everyone.

Lissy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Congrats! You've earned that great feeling, Lissa.

And Brent, I just have two small bins, too. I get that sad feeling as well when I use it all up. Sometimes I feel I have to ration it. :)

w

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Each shovel full of home made compost on your garden is like your mother, in a whisper, telling you you are her favorite child. You are intimately loving your plants and telling them they are your favorite. Each plant soars with healthy nutritious pride into a garden you truly have created far above the plant you bought. Well done Lizzy J!!!

This message was edited Oct 10, 2006 6:28 PM

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Compost unused,is compost wasted!!!!

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Lissy: Congratulation! You're hooked for life!

Karen

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations on participating with Nature to create a beautiful world around you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.