Does this plant look familiar to anyone?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I originally posted this in Tropicals, please take a look. I have no photos of the bloom and the mother plant is now gone. It was discovered behind a bar in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. A friend suggested that Calostemma forms bulbils or seeds that might look like this but I can't find photos anywhere of the foliage. Any ideas?

plantnutga

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/654467/

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Hi,this is definately not a calostemma...have grown them and they have narrow leaves like a jonquil..the flower is also similar to a jonquil.Do a search on aloes/agave I have a vague recollection that this is some kind of succulent...if I am on the right track these things can get quite large...many metres when in flower...then form these bulbils..masses of them ...the one in your pic is only a pup right.?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

thanks for answering! Yes, the one in the pic is only a pup. I'll check aloes/agaves, I was told that the plant was quite large and there were a lot of bulbils, they fell off easily. I am trying to clarify exactly how they were attached to the plant.

The leaves are quite un-aloe/agave like as I know the plants but I am learning that there are far more varieties than I would have ever guessed.

By the way, you must love growing calostemma, the photos I saw of the blooms were breathtaking! We never see anything like that here, and the zones aren't that far off. Funny, isn't it?

I think I have found a name for your plant ....furcraea foetida..the green form ,aka mauritius hemp,belongs to the agave family,nowhere near as attractive as the variegated form...but anyway..hope this helps

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

you are awesome! That's the same one I came up with when I searched the agave files after "talking" to you late last night. I emailed palmbob and he concurs that it's the closest he can think of. I'm going to email my buddy in Ft Lauderdale, if the photo of the mother plant looks right to him I will mark this one solved. Thank you so much for the help!

plantnutga

No worries ...pleased to help...have a lovely day.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

you, too. What time is it there?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your help, everyone! I think we got it, or as close as we can until the pups grow up. My friend is very appreciative.

I guess since I didnt post this in the ID forum I can't mark it "solved", but I think it is.

plantnutga

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.