here's what I have - do they go together?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi. Never been on this forum before because I like to consider my whole sunny/shady yard to be sunny. But I realize that a lot of the 'other' plants I've been acquiring might make a sort of shady/sunny garden put together. I have a few different hostas, helleborus orientalis, and some heucherellas. Would those be happy together? I have the vague idea that they all tolerate some shade. I guess my shadiest area is between and underneath the ugly foundation plants that have all been there for 50 + years.

xxxx, Carrie

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

You are right that those 3 like some shade. I've read that hellebores like slightly alkaline soil but I've also seen them listed as good companions for your other 2. Someone else will know better than I about that part.
Sherry

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sorry, I meant heucheras, not heucherellas!

xxx,
Carrie

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I think she really meant Tiparillos! (as in "Cigars, Cigarettes, Tiparillos?")

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I knew I never should gave wandered off the Perennials forum.... you guys are all MEAN! LOL "cigars, cigarettes, tomatillos, tarantellas, tiarellas, ...." LOL LOL LOL!

xxxx, Carrie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Carrie - Tan tan tara!!! A little Gilbert and Sullivan is required here. Choruses of folks in funny clothes.

I have heucheras, hellebores, hostas, ligularias, ferns, farfugium, brunnera, Tryticus, Hakone Grass, Astilbe, a Japananese Maple, hydrangea, clematis, tiarella and polygonatum all within the same shade area. They say that hellebores don't like their feet wet but I haven't had a problem. I have one that is in quite a bit of sun. It's leaves burn but it's fine. They are really tough cookies.

Go Wild!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dorothie,

I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General!

I was hoping maybe for some suggestions or advice!

xxx, Carrie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

There is a hellebore right below the bottom of the photo. I forgot azalea (there are small ones now) and ajuga. I think that you are asking about the transition from shade to sun? Hellebore will certainly do it. I find the heucheras like a little less sun although in my climate I have to protect them. Hostas vary with sun tolerance depending on type. Do you know what your hostas are?

Thumbnail by doss
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I really have to get a Farfugium if for no other reason than that the name cracks me up or reminds me of that stupid car slogan. LOL

Carrie, I have my first real shade now! I am overjoyed! I can finally grow hosta that don't fry, my Heuchera are sizing up, my Petasites are truly happy and I also stuck in some toad lilies, solomon's seal, jack in the pulpit, astilbe, hydrangea and a bunch of other new stuff!

I had always thought Heuchera were shade plants. I bought a bunch through the co-ops and noticed when I planted them that some said part shade to shade while others said part shade to sun and I also had a couple of full sun or full shade. You really do have to read those tags! LOL

If you don't have deep shade, the Hosta, Heuchera and Hellebores should make a great combo!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Doss,

One's a guacamole, one's not, and the other one definitely isn't. LOL, what a nut. I know I've said this a million times, but I do crack myself up. My heucheras are Purple Palace and Silver Scrolls. I have a cyclamen (still in the package). I DON'T KNOW WHICH ARE THE HELLEBORES! Got to find out, or at least figure out how to find out. Someone here sent me one or two but it was a big trade with a bunch of plants and I'm hoping I was awake enough at least to stick them in a pot of dirt. :>(

xx,
Carrie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Look for the plant that sort of looks illegal. LOL That *might* be your Hellebores.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

doss I appreciate your garden photo. It really is lovely.
carol

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6b)

Carrie,
The hellebores have very distinctive leaves. They're usually very dark green, palmate (have 'fingers' like a palm), and look quite tropical. Think of your hand spread out, for H. orientalis, and more 'fingers' for H. feotidus. Or, as someone else suggested, think of that illlegal "weed".

Hope this helps. You'll really love hellebores, once you get them settled. They're tough, beautiful, distinctive, evergreen, and mine flower from Jan/Feb clear through until June, unless it gets really hot early.

Good luck
Lesley

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Many hellebores have sort of prickly leaves. If you run your hand down the edges of them you can feel the bumps. And they do look a little illegal.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page45.html

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Carrie if you can't figure out which are hellebores from the previous notes, just wait until February. The Hellebores are the only things blooming! You may have to look hard since some varieties hide their blooms under the leaves. I have some right next to hostas. A deer came along and reduced the hostas to stalks, but didn't touch the hellebores.

I also have some Purple Palace heucheras (raised from seed) in shade. They reseed prolifically and my wife wants me to take them out. She doesn't appreciate the brownish color, so maybe I'll look for some of the silvery leaf heucheras next year, though I doubt I'll find seeds for any of those.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Don, that occured to me too..... But they're in a pot!

How about Silver Scrolls for your DW? If I had more, I'd trade you for your Purple Palace.

xxxx, Carrie

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have some Purple Palace heuchera that i underplanted with golden money wort. It really makes the heuchera pop out more

Thornton, IL

I put Palace Purple under good ole Autum Joy sedum, in full to part sun. It really got dark brown, and as the sedum aged to brick red, they complement each other even more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.