Lily of the valley....in Southern Calif??

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi All,

Has anyone been successful in growing lily-of-the-valley in Southern Calif? I just went to White Flower Farm nursery online and see that they offer 12 pips (not sure what a pip is - maybe someone can enlighten me) with potting soil for $35 to be grown indoors. My sister thought I could get lily-of-the-valley bulbs and put them in the fridge until December then plant them outside.

Any ideas? I LOVE this flower (as well as the crocuses I've seen growing in Chicago) but if it's not going to do well here, then I'd better leave well enough alone.

Thanks!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I can send you clumps of lov for MUCH LESS - lol - what do you have to trade? Yes, you should be able to store them in dry peat moss in the fridge until spring.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

A pip is sort of like a bulb I think. I don't think these grow well anywhere in CA though--but I've never tried so can't say for sure. If you want to know for sure, post on the CA forum and see if anyone's had luck with them.

Hi Kay and Ecrane3,
Thanks for the offer Kay. I'm going to follow Ecrane3's suggestion and post on the CA forum to see if anyone in my area has had any luck with these dainty beauties. I sure hope so.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My mother always told me, grow the things that do well in your geographical area. I was trying to grow peonies in Vancouver. NO.

You might have to create a special microclimate for your lily of the the valley: a cold winter and cool, limey soil, morning sun. That's what they like. Good luck!

Gardena, CA

I dug up some from the Getty Museum while it was under construction in Malibu. I was told they don't grow here in SoCal, however, they grew well in a pot outdoors for me one winter. I stuck them in the front yard and they seem to pop up every spring now. Each year, I mow them down with the grass and they seem to come back up. I have terrible clay soil and don't really know why they grow. They are on the south side of the house and get full winter sun. I haven't seen them yet this year but will let you know if they pop up in a few months. This will be the 6th year if they emerge.

Hi Nadabigfarm,

Which variety of the L-O-V is it that you have? I see that the kind Armstrong sells is different than the variety they have back east...

Thanks,
Nancy

Gardena, CA

Hi Happy,
My best guess is Convallaria majalis.
They just suddenly appear and within about 4 weeks, produce the bell shaped tubular flowers. They don't last long before wilting and then get mowed over and hopefully will be seen next year. I have been told they will not grow here but after all, isn't that the fun of gardening. I don't think its been cold and wet enough yet this year for them to emerge. Will keep you posted..........

PS: Armstrong usually sells things that positively WILL grow here. If its not suitable for our zone, they probably won't carry it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.