Potting up ( & storing for the winter) five JPs for a newbie

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Excuse me for the type: in my subject line I meant "JMs"--not "JPs"!

Hello there: I'm brand new to this forum, and pretty new to growing Japanese Maples. I have just received five JMs that I ordered from Mountain Maples Nursery (CA). They represent my first attempts at growing JMs in a completely new climate (to me)--Cape Cod, MA. (zone 7a). Previously I lived in Central Coast California.

They are:
Kasagiyama ( 2 ft. )
specimen Maiku Jaku (5 ft.)
Vitifolium (4 ft)
Beni maiko (2 ft.)
Beni komachi (2 ft.)

I realize that this might not be the correct way to identify the size--but I didn't know how else to describe how big they are!

My questions are: Would it be best to keep all the JMs in containers over the winter? I plan to plant the Kasagiyama, the Maiku Jakiu, and the Vitifolium in my garden next Spring, but the two Benis will stay in containers on my patio. Does this sound right?

What size containers would be preferable? At present, I have set the large Maiku Jaku in a 5 gallon container, and the others in 1 gallons--this was because they arrived with relatively small root balls. But I want to give the trees the correct size "home" at least for the winter, and I am planning to keep the Benis in containers permanenty.

Thirdly, what potting mixture is best? On the advice of the Mountain Maples person, I planted my JMs in a basic potting mix (Fafard) without any ferts added. Is this sort of basic mix correct? I am aware that the JMs have slightly different requirements as to acidity, and I will try to amend the soil correctly.

Finally, would it be preferrable in my climate zone (7 a) to put the potted JMS in my unheated garage, or could I set them up in my south-facing patio against the garage wall? If so, are there things I should do to protect them further?

Thanks in advance for the expert advice.
--Emily

This message was edited Sep 25, 2006 7:25 AM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice collection of trees, Emily. Just had to say welcome but I'm zone challenged like you are. You are not in a giantly cold zone though so you aren't in too much danger. I wouldn't put them in the garage at any rate.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hello, Doss--thank you for the response. Why do you suggest NOT to put the JMs in the unheated, away from windows, garage? Is it better to keep them outside in a zone like 7a? I am such a neophyte in all this.
Thank you,
Emily
PS: I know Stanford, CA, well. Nice climate for gardening!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Did you go to Stanford? I know that some of the colder winter gardeners will come here and they know what they are doing about this but trees need the change of light to go dormant and return from dormancy. Of course I could be wrong but it doesn't make any sense to me to put them in the dark.
I certainly would put potted trees near the house to keep them warmer but if it's the south side of the house you will need to move them out fairly early in the season if you don't want some of them cooked. I would pick another (like east) exposure if that's possible.
Your Maiku Jaku won't lose it's leaves if it's like mine but don't worry about that. It can look dead but you can take the leaves off. The leaves will drop in the spring if you do nothing.
So now, someone who really knows about this should show up! :-)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree with Doss if you are in 7a I'd just keep 'em out of the ocean winds in a protected spot ... It most likely won't get cold enough to freeze solid in your zone...I have lived in Boston and it often gets really cold there in winters especially if ya lives in the burbs but I guess the cape gets ocean warming...I personally DON'T think you will have a problem unless the plants are in REALLY small pots then i would repot this fall in one gallons ..... BUT....If the plants are old enough (2 or more years, and I have NOT delt with MM and have NO idea of there plant quality ) I see no reason to over winter them in pots PERIOD I'd plant them out this fall mulch well and I'm sure they will be fine!! David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks David, we can always count on you.
Emily, have you asked MM what to do? Sometimes it takes them awhile to respond by email so you might want to call instead. Also watch your junk mail box. Sometimes their emails end up there.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, doss and myersphcf--what I think I have learned from your expertise is that I should plant out the taller JMs (well mulched) and keep the 2-ft. Benis in their containers next to an eastern exposure. Maybe set up a burlap and leaf cage over them?
I appreciate the advice so much. Thank you.
Doss, I didn't go to Stanford--but our two daughters did, so we visited often--my school was UCLA. Well at least it wasn't Cal!!
--Emily

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations on having two such talented daughters!

I would only do the 'cage' if there was really freezing weather happening. The trees need to be in the sun and air. I believe that it is customary to bury the pots if you are really worried about freezing weather and then mulch. That would seem to make more sense.

And the mulch shouldn't touch the actual bark of the tree. You don't want crown rot.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum. I feel ready to face winter with my "babies" now. The suggestion to contact the Mountain Maples folks for further information, is a good one, too.
In appreciation,
Emily

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I hope that they turn out well for you. I'm sure that they will be an adventure, no matter what.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.