Conifers:What are you growing, Part II....

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

....for the bandwidth-challenged out there, as requested.

By the way Guy, got you two of the $3.33 Serbian Spruces. They were the only ones with decent shape and central leaders on them.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Attaboy! See you soon --
Guy S.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Thanks Kneevin. Ken

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

And here is the old thread, for those who are interested:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/578349/

Mike

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

This thread is miss'n something. There is no booze, no Indians, no Springer, heck even no tree questions. Maybe another 150 or so replies on this one and we will get somewhere.

Bill

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Let's see who can identify this then . . .

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Pic takes too long to open fully for me, but based upon a "partial" might it be Pinus monophylla?

Guy S.

Nope!

Resin

Eau Claire, WI

Staying in the Pinyon group, how about P. edulis?

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks very much like my Pinus succinifera

It looks a little bit like those Pinus uncinata they whack down to use for Bonsai.

Quoting:
Looks very much like my Pinus succinifera

That's the closest yet . . . though this one isn't quite extinct, fortunately :-)

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

That English fella sure do know his pines!

Anyone else??

You could be forgiven for looking for it on top of a column.

Resin

Oh, a hint! He's trying to help us out!

Eau Claire, WI

Column as in standard? How about P. densiflora? This is pure torture!

Nope, sorry - column as in a famous English column (but actually, it isn't the same individual)

Eau Claire, WI

Oh, this was so easy...the Chesterfield Pine!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus Trafalgar

Willis isn't so far out now . . .

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

What? That was as far out as I could get.

All I can incorrectly ID from work are North American Pines since there is a website with decent descriptions. So I am sticking to P. edulis. After work I can incorrectly ID pines from the rest of the world, with or without the help of my few books.

Willis

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Nelson's Column is the focal point of Trafalgar Square. Admiral Nelson was one of Britain's best-loved heroes, who fought valiantly for his country and won four notable naval battles, at the personal cost of losing an arm and one eye. Nelson's last and most famous battle was fought off the Spanish cape of Trafalgar, when he defeated Napoleon and the French and Spanish fleets; during which he lost his life, dying aboard H.M.S. Victory.

Begun in 1840, it took three years to erect this magnificent memorial. The granite column is 185 feet high surmounted by a statue of Lord Nelson. Acanthus leaves, cast from British cannons decorate the top, and at the base are four bronze relief panels cast from armaments captured from the French. These panels depict the four great victories of Admiral Nelson. At the four corners of the monument sit the superb Lions - like four great guardians. They were cast in bronze and designed by Edwin Landseer.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

It is not pinus nelsonii, Kevin. It is their Christmas Tree that they get every year from Norway for helping us out in WWII.

Bill

I tried that route Bill. I ran into a site that said the pine tree Norway gifted to them every year was a Norwegian Spruce???

Then I thought about the Christopher Columbus column in Barcelona but I can't find any reference to a pine growing near that.

Resin, do you happen to have a Wollemia nobilis? Just curious. If you do, would you please post some photos.

Pinus nelsonii it is - not named after the same Nelson as the one on the column, though. Growing at Edinburgh Royal Botanic Gardens, from seed I collected in Mexico a few years ago (so even tho' I'm not growing it myself, I do regard it as 'mine' :-)

Hands up those for whom it is the first pic of Pinus nelsonii they've seen . . . it's a very rare tree in cultivation, I was rather surprised to see it not only successful outdoors at Edinburgh but even producing cones

Took a couple of pics of the Wollemia under glass at Edinburgh, will post them shortly when I've downsized to pics enough to fit here

Resin

Wollemia

Juvenile foliage

Thumbnail by Resin

Wollemia

Main stem

Thumbnail by Resin
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil, I kept getting hits on that also and it looked like a spruce to me as well. I was just joking as Kneevin got it first. He just was being coy and not adding the pinus. I couldn't get google to give me the name of the column in Trafalgar Square. Stupid Search engine.

Bill

Mystery solved!
Resin, you brut!
You have to make it easier on us next time by giving us closer up photos so we can start by seeing the characteristics.

I have never seen a Wollemia nobilis. The foliage always fascinated me because it looks so perfect it almost looks machined. I've always been curious if the photos I had seen on line were true to type and I guess they certainly are. What a perfect tree. That's one I'd like to have but I suppose it will be a very long wait if you don't even have one yet.

Hey Bill, I found an article that I read about the history of the gift to the UK of their annual Christmas Tree. It was a really neat story. In the article, they stated the tree given was Picea abies and it was 30 meters tall. I thought that was rather amusing given they said the Pine Tree gift was a Picea.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

That must make Resin furious every Christmas.

I saw 2 needles and the cone. I don't know any good websites for pine ID besides one that is just for North American pines. I wish there was a site that gave good pine ID guides which had lots of photos illustrating many of the terms for some of the rookies out there like me.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.