Malva 'Freedom'

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I just got this one this year. It will be the first winter in the ground. Very different. Luv it!
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl

That is a real nice one Donna. Great colour, easy to place.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Brenda.

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh!!! That is beautiful...I'm going to keep this on 'watch' just in case you'd like to do an exchange, or have extra seeds, cuttings........

Jan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Jan. I'm hoping that it will survive the winter okay and it has time to make some seeds. Keep your fingers crossed.

Donna: I'll keep my fingers crossed too that it'll survive (...with ulterior motives in mind...lol!). Do you have any other malvas such as the one pictured below? What is your weather like right now? This is Malva Zebrina, it's beautiful, it's hardy and if you would like I could send you some starts next week...in anticipation of getting cuttings/seeds from your Freedom next year??? LMK!

Jan

Thumbnail by JanLynn
Thornton, IL

JanLynn - That's an awesome flower! How big do the plants get?

Freedom reminds me a little of the flowers on a Rose of Sharon.

PrairieGirlZ5: The 'Malva sylvestris Zebrina' is perennial, (is) related to the hollyhock family (it's sometimes referred to as a minature hh), survives for me anywhere (sun, shade...), drought/heat resistant, 3 - 4 ft high, 2 -3 ft wide, re-seeds prolifically. If you would like I could send you some...just lmk!

Jan

Thornton, IL

Send some, as in plants? That's very generous of you! Maybe next spring when I rework some beds? I may have something to trade you for it. :0)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Hi, Jan. Let me check to see if I have seeds for the Zebrina already...I might.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Donna, did you start yours from seed or plant? where did you get it at? If you don't mind my asking.

kathy_ann

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I bought it as a tuber off ebay in the Spring.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh ok

kathy

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I have seeds from Malva Zebrina that my Mother gave me this year. Can you tell me if the seeds germinate well? I wanted to try and plant some next spring to start a plant for myself.

If cuttings do better than seeds I could get a cutting from my Mother's plant.
Lin

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

zebrina do germinate well, mine fall off the plant onto the ground, and I have babies coming up all over the place. They get a bit overwhelming sometimes too, but their so pretty

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Kathy Ann. I'm glad to know the seeds germinate well. I'll have to look and see if any baby plants have come up under and around the Zebrina. The blooms are so pretty.
Lin

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I have one that must be 10-11 feet tall. I cut mine back severely in late fall. It's still flowering. Never thought to save seeds as I don't need another. This one's so big. Next week I'll be taught how to send pictures! Mine is a very light pink with slighter darker pink shades and has iridescent sheen to the petals. Bees love it. It gets very little care. My main book, The Western Garden Book does not even list it.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I didnt realize the zebrinas get so tall, Ithought they were the dwarf holly hocks that only get about 4 foot tall, that's about the tallest mine ever got.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.