Any suggestions for planting under the eaves?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have a large L-shaped brick planter (3' high) at my front entry. A small part of it (about 5' X 4') abuts the front porch, and is covered by the roof of that porch. Obviously, it gets no rain & AM sun only. December-February are the colder months here. We don't usually have hard freezes in my area, (just outside Seattle), but it is more difficult to water at that time. I'm not opposed to soaker hoses or a drip method, but what I have used in the past was not satisfactory..
I am at a loss as to what to plant there. I want something that will have year-round interest. To complicate matters, there is a window sited there - the lower edge of the window starts about 8" up from this planter. So I need to keep whatever I plant there low, say 12 -18"(?). Maybe no plants, but something else? Maybe a sledgehammer to the brick....
I wish I had the ability to post a picture to make it easier to understand, I'm not certain that I am communicating a good visual here. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!