CLOSED: what kind of spider is this?

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Hubby got a new camera..While out on a morning stroll..We came across this on a neighbors patio chair! Are spiders always a good thing? I mean, I know about the Brown Recluse and Black Widow(retired nurse here!)..but I am a new gardener..and could use some info on Spiders..both good and bad. Thanks!

Thumbnail by turbosbabe96
Rincon, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey! I don't know exactly what kind of spider that one is but I have found a great website on all types of spiders. It is maintained in Australia but they have a section on US spiders. Maybe it will help you. Here's the link: http://www.spiderzrule.com/

Take care!
Sheila

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

looks like a wolf spider to me

plantnutga

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

It looks big and scary and I'm glad it's not in MY garden.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Takes a Newspaper Splat there LoL ive been bit by one of those was sick for 2 weeks

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

NO KIDDING phicks???? Was anyone able to give you a definite defintion?? Is that worded right?? ..oh well... Ya know..I read that ALL spiders that make the funnel type webs should be considered dangerous to humans. This does just that..has a funnel web along the base of one my Live Oaks..(thanks sheila965 for that link!). I guess I need to run her off. She has her egg sac clutched tightly in her claws(?). I would hate for my 2 yr. old grandson to decide to poke around. He knows she is there. We showed him...Darn..I was so proud of myself for not killing the darn thing. This is the FIRST spider that I have encountered since getting really serious bout gardening..I had even told her that she was lucky..Any other time..It WOULD HAVE BEEN SPLAT...with a newspaper..or my weapon of choise seems to be a dust pan..I cracked manyof them over the years!!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

no they did not know what kind but it was awolf ive seen theam before Paul

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

Turbo - We have alot of spiders around here (north florida) and I am pretty phobic. We have the wolf and false wolf. Both look alot like your guy there. They both will bite - not terrible toxic but hurts. They come up from the sand around my place hence - I garden with gloves on. Also we have widows so, I try not to reach anywhere I cant see and watch out for webs underthings esp in damp, dark places.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Ya know..I read that ALL spiders that make the funnel type webs should be considered dangerous to humans

The only ones considered dangerous to humans on this continent are the Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider with the latter probably having an overdone bad reputation.

Yes it looks like a Wolf spider, possibly Lycosa helluo and Yes they are poisonous, bites are painful but not lethal (unless alergic) but they do not bite unless provoked (may be more agressive with egg sac or youngsters around, who can blame them for being protective?)
Like other spiders they are to be considered as good due to their Insect Menu :)

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Ya know Panamon..I thought or had always heard, read..or learned that same thing about the only two spiders that were considered dangerous to us in the states was the two you named. That is until I came across the article on the link I was provided. I figure what you say is probably still held true..But no matter..I dont care to go pushing my luck...And yes, this spider IS very aggressive..She has her egg sac clutched tightly..And nope..cant say I blame her at all..I find her interesting to watch..all from a safe and decent distance!!

Amesbury, MA

funnel spiders look like wolf spiders, but are not dangerous. wolf spiders do not make webs, but catch their prey on the run

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Since I had so much help with this spider, I thought I would post a few pics of her with her babies on her back..I thought it was totally cool!!! And I dont even particularly like spiders!!

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is one more look! The spiders are now off of her back at times..running around the edge of the funnel web. They are fast!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So are wolf spiders the big furry ones that come out from under stuff and take off running? I've seen them when I've moved pots or skids on the ground. They shoot out from under stuff but run the other way most times.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The Wolf spiders I see are about silver dollar sized. To make this even more confusing, there is a funnel wolf spider

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Lordy..I stay so confused! LOL! All I know is this spider is the FIRST I have EVER taken an interest in..and BTW...the babies are scampering all around the funnel..Hope they dont get washed away..We are having very heavy downpours and it isnt gonna let up til late tomorrow evening!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I call anything that looks like that a wolf spider around here--like the one that was at the bottom of my laundry hamper the other night..AAGH. but I had my own"babies" around so I got really brave and.... it won't be back to my laundry room, we'll just say. I hope no one is offended that I didn't catch and release...

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm not offended! ;-)

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Nor am I..I have broken MANY a dust pan whoppin down on a spider!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A body gets old and ornery, and must realize that we tend to slow up a good bit in 'reaction' time, until
... you're on the floor, doin' a few lil exercises, and happen to spot a lil toy of one of the grandyunkins, that managed to get under the edge of the sofa. Ya reach to get it, and out charges this humongus multi-legged varmint right toward your face!

I learned two things that day. One; I've gotta clean under the couch more often .. and two; I can still achieve lightening fast speeds afterall!! ..

There was the unfortunate calamity of a slipper being in the path of this beast. Head-on collisions at those speeds, haint purtee ...

- Magpye

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Magpye! You are so hilarious. I love the way you type "how you talk". I am QUITE sure you and I have a Southern dialect that sounds much the same. My hubby always teases me..especially when I get on a roll talking..Calls me "Corn-fed, country woman!"..and I say, "Yep! An' sure proud uv it!"..LOL!
Have I already asked you the name of the town you live in? You familiar with Pocahontas? or Jonesboro?

Maastricht, Netherlands

Hi, my friend was camping in Virginia and he found the spider below in his tent. It has an amazing human face marking on its back and its about 3 inches in size. Does anyone know which spider this is?

Thumbnail by cloggs
Chalkville, AL

I was looking for some help on identifying this spider that I found on the handle of my pressure washer in my garage. I would really like to know some details on this spider since I do not believe I have ever seen a spider like this. I live in Birmingham, AL.

Thumbnail by kikr44
Fairfax, VA

I found this spider hanging out on the wall by my basement sliding glass door. I was worried about what kind of spider it was because it was right at waist height, and my two dogs come in and out of that door frequently. I was initially worried it was a brown recluse but the abdomen looks pointier than that of a brown recluse, I could be wrong though. Sorry for lame phone photos, I tried putting my finger near the spider to show its huge size, but the thing was freaking me out too much to get closer!

Thumbnail by mkathryn
Minot, ND

The July photos are of fishing spiders in the family Pisauridae; Dolomedes sp. The last one is a grass spider in the family Agelenidae. None of these are dangerous to humans.

Cedar Springs, MI

Can someone please tell me what kind of spider this is??? I have two children (8 and 5) and need to know if this is something I should worry about! Any thoughts are welcome!!!! Thank you!

Thumbnail by PMisner
Minot, ND

Another wolf spider. Bite painful but not dangerous.

Union City, CA

What kind of spider is this ?

Thumbnail by jj94587
Minot, ND

Could be a grass spider, but a clearer photo would be helpful. Would also be good if you were to start a new thread rather than hitchhiking on an old one.

96740, Mayotte

Hi

i need your help. i am really scared of spiders. i came accross this one when i went to the bathroom. My first reaction was to spray insecticide on it. then something really weird happened loads of lirtte tiny spiders came out instantly she was spread upon. please tell me what type of spider it is. ciuld it be dangerous for my 9 months old daughter

Thumbnail by ericmayotte
Minot, ND

Sounds typical for a wolf spider - females often carry their young on their back for a few days after the they hatch. These are not dangerous to humans.

Centennial, CO

This message was edited Apr 9, 2013 11:09 AM

Thumbnail by helens333
Minot, ND

Philodromidae - running crab spider. Harmless.

SUNLAND, CA

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is?

Thumbnail by CCMITCH
Minot, ND

CCMITCH - please repost on a new thread...

Benson, NC

I have a spider on a bush near my front porch. I have become particularly fond of him or her. I even named it Charlie. Can someone tell me what kind of spider Charlie is? Also those two sacks behind it... Are they food or babies?

Thumbnail by Theswankyamy Thumbnail by Theswankyamy
Minot, ND

Looks like a trashline orb weaver - http://www.abundantnature.com/2011/10/trashline-orb-weaver-cool-spider.html

Nottingham, United Kingdom

I found this spider in my shed and have no idea what it is! Do you know what it could be?

Minot, ND

@clarkey89 - Please start a new thread.

Owen sound, Canada

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is ?

Thumbnail by melly1985

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.