Planting Datura Seed?

Madison, MS

I have never had a Datura and received some seeds that I want to plant in a new bed I've made.
Do I need to plant the seeds in pots and overwinter the seedlings inside and then plant in the spring?
Sow them directly in the bed and pray I don't think they're weeds next spring?
Wait and start the seeds later?
Thanks so much - I'm new to planting seeds and have not figured out everything yet! Michelle

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Michelle,
This is my first year growing Daturas and I grew mine from seed. They grow FAST!! Almost like Brug fast. I planted my seeds in one container, misted the soil a few times each day, made sure the container was in an area where it would get sun and good wind circulation and they germinated in 14 days. When they got two sets of "true" leaves, I then planted them in their "final" home. In two months, I had blooms, and now, they are all around 5 feet tall. This, after planting the seeds on June 14. Next year, I'll definitely start earlier.

I would wait until spring to plant the seeds. Put them in little peat pots and then when they get true leaves, plant them wherever you want them to be.

Madison, MS

Thanks so much! I'll wait and make a note to myself!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The trick to getting a high percentage of germination rate with daturas is to make sure and soak in hot water over night!!..I get about a 98% success rate this way...Living in Texas I directly sow my outdoors in my garden...just misting until they start emerging..then use my watering wand..they love full sun and good drainage..very drought tolerant...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.