Dividing heucheras

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi,
I'm new to growing heucheras. I've been very pleased with my Dolce Peach Melbas, and I'd like to get a few more. I'm not pleased with the prices, though. :) Can heucheras be divided, and if so is it best in spring or fall? I noticed this "baby" crown, and it seems like that could be divided off, but I'm not sure.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks,
w

Thumbnail by winging
Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

They are real easy to devide. that little crown come up off a stem that is about on top of the ground. You can cut that stem devide it at that stem and put it in a pot and it will grow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That sounds pretty easy. Thanks!

w

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Yep, oz is right on as usual,,,lol I read that you should divide out your Heuchera's about every 3 to 4 years. I have found that I need to as they get pretty woody or they get really sparse in the middle.

Kely

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks folks. These plants were overwintered last winter in their pots. I planted them in late spring. Would it be too soon to cut off that "baby"? And should I do it this fall or in the spring?

Thanks again,

w

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

winging,
All the information I've read recommends planting Heucheras in the spring because there is a good chance of heaving over the winter. I would hold off until the spring to divide the plant if possible.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That makes sense. Thanks!

w

Southern Maryland, United States

I don't know if it varies per zone, but if I divide mine in the spring, they wilt to mush.
I just finished dividing a 'Hollywood' into 10 different babies. I just bought this little one in the spring, but evidently it's pretty happy.
Usually, within moments of lifting them, they start to wilt for me. Today, with the cooler temperature, getting them immediately back into dirt and watering them? No wilt.

I also find I have to have at least one squiggly little root. If I just have the stem, they die pretty fast.

Different yards, different experiences, different plants, different results, right?
Christine

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's good to know your experience. I'm not sure what zone you are, but I'm guessing it's higher than mine, which is 6a. Could your difficulty in the spring be related to wet weather? And you're right about getting enough of the baby, including the root. I tried to move an Amber Waves I had, and I didn't get enough of it and lost it. It had heaved, and instead of just pushing it back into the ground, I thought I'd take advantage and move it to where I wished I'd planted it.

Live and learn. I'll let y'all know how it goes with mine.

w

Kelly and anyone else inclined to devide your heuchera. I was told by a horiculurist Saturday that they new hybreds take years to build up the strenght they should have. I am not sure if I understood anything else she said. She said something about a lot of the problem being due to tissue culture issues. Maybe that is why we been getting burned easy in this area.

I bought 3 plants from her. Swirling Fantacy, Frosted Violet(This one has a leaf pattern like the Palace purple but the color is deep voilet) And one called Prince of Silver. Suppose to turn out almost silver white leaf with a pronuounced green veins. One of the plants that I really like that I bought this year is Beauty Color. It is different.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

I got Beauty Color this year also. Can't wait til Spring to see it again.

Each Spring, I go around and look at what's coming up in the gardens and I pay close attention to the Heuchera's as they do like to heave. I end up pushing some of them back down.

Must be that rotten wisc beer and cheese if they upchuck that much.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,hmmm, now there's a thought

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

LOL instead of feeding them cheese you could send that to me. No rotten stuff though. LOL

Lani

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.