Need help! First time veggie gardner

columbus, MS(Zone 7b)

Hi y'all. I'm here in 7b, borderline 7a, and after an exhausting summer of maintaining 7 flower bed for a wedding last week, I am ready for my next challenge--a vegatable garden. I know it's the wrong season for most things, but I don't have a bed prepared yet, just a piece of sunny, well drained lawn at the back of my property, begging for a garden.
I need to know the best way to prepare the soil for the spring. Should I have it plowed now, and plant a cover crop like rye grass? The soil now is in fairly good shape, but a bit clayey, as is all my soil. I am looking for any and all suggestions/experiences. Here's a list of what I'd like to plant:
Tomatoes
Green peppers
Gooseneck squash
Zuchinni
Corn
Onions
Okra (I'm a Yank, but married a true Southern boy)
Green beans/Pole beans

I don't work outside the home now, and would like to keep it that way, so I have lots of time to work in the garden. I also would like to start a compost pile, but have no idea what or how to begin!

Thanks in advance for any assistance---
Jswords

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are in Mississippi! My birthplace. Also a place I return to at least once a year.
I only grow trees and herbs in Mississippi, but I can tell you it is a fabulous place to garden. Soil is generally pretty acid. I would start out by having it tested to see if you need any lime.
For compost, just rake up all those leaves and pine needles which must be starting to fall right now and put them in a pile. Wet them down, then throw some manure and/or grass clippings, and/or vegetable trimmings ( no meat or salted items) in another layer., watering each as you go, unless they get soaked by rain. Continue layering and when the pile is big enough it will start to heat up. Feel it or buy a compost thermometer and take its temperature. When it gets really hot ( 150-160 or higher) turn the whole pile over, wetting it down as you go. Before long you will have a beautiful pile of black humus to put in your garden.
Get the grass out any way you can. If the grass is bermuda grass, prepare to work hard. If it is St. Augustine it will be easier. Turning it is a good start. A cover crop is a great idea, assuming you got the grass out. Almost any cover crop is a good idea but rye grass is just fine. Then turn it again in the spring. Cover with compost, then plant.
Of course, that is just an overview, but gardening is generally excellent in Mississippi.
Betty ( of New Mexico and Lumberton, MS)

columbus, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks, that's a good start. The soil is acidy, thanks to the pines. I've got a mix of St. Aug and bermuda...marvelous. It's hardy for my three huge dogs, but a bear to get out of the gardens.
Thanks again. What part of MS do you hail from?
jswords

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You could do fall veggies now in a spent flower garden... broccoli, cauliflower, all kinds of greens, etc. and even start onions now.

columbus, MS(Zone 7b)

If I had a spent one, I would! Unfortunately, or fortunately, our growing season is so long here, and I planted all my gardens for 3 season color, that I don't have anywhere that isn't still active. I have a spot that is shady in summer that I have been kicking around the possibility of puttinfg a raised bed for winter/early spring blooms, could that work? It's an eyesore of roots from a maple tree, but I thought if I raised it a foot or more, I could grow something there.
thanks for the input!
jswords

Sanford, FL(Zone 9b)

Red or white clover would do it or most legumes. Fix nitrogen- great soil building plants, seed available by the pound from feed stores, only need maybe 6 per acre. Understanding how soil works you should read things by Dr. Ingham of hte Soil Foodweb. I am a firm believer in organic growing for not only maintaining your soil but in giving you quality produce.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

I planted winter rye on my garden one year.Bad mistake.I had to get someone with a deep turning plow to turn it under,My poor wheel horse climbed over the mass of roots or spinned its wheels in agony and the tiller did no better.
Charlie

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

jswords,

Go to this link and see what you think about container vegetable gardening, above ground with MONSTER growth on those veggies...no plowing, no tilling, no digging up your St. Aug. grass. And, it's neat and tidy.

P.S. (I'm in Houston, via New Orleans)....

http://www.josho.com/Earthbox.htm

Glendale/Parks, AZ

When I went to the earthbox website I saw they mentioned a fertilizer strip. The homemade version on the josho websited does not mention it. Does anyone know what a fertilizer strip is?

Veggiemam,

A fertilizer "strip" is nothing more than a straight line of granular/granulated fertilizer poured out on the soil. I had to figure that out, too.....some things just can't be that easy, huh?

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Thanks Gymgirl.
When I had more time I re-read everything and came to the same conclusion. I'm gonna build me one of these things.

Veggiemam,
Yeah, I'm hoping to build 10 of them by March to do tomatoes, squash, okra and bell peppers. Wander over into the EB forum. There's ton's of info there and many different designs to work with.

Godspeed on your project!

Veggieman,
Here's a link to another EB design page.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/596179/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.