xeriscaping in Portland, OR

Portland, OR

I feel a little out of place here on the xeriscape forum, considering that it rains here ALOT. But therein lies the problem. I would like some recommendations for plants that can tolerate soggy roots during the winter in my clay soil. But then turn around and withstand the summer where we can go for a month without rain and have it be in the high 90's for extended periods. I am willing to water a little (like once a week) but I would like to make some good environmental choices that will save water.
I am certainly open to amending the soil a little, but since I don't own this house I can't spend big bucks to fix all of the beds. Any suggestions anyone??????
Oh by the way, my beds get at least 6 hours of hot sun during the summer months.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

the only plant I have that can take sun or no sun, lots of water and no water is snow on the mountain. But some people don't like it because it is poisionus and irritating if you cut it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm sure there are at least a few native plant societies in your area--that would be where I would start because things that are native to your part of Oregon are going to be the most likely to be adapted to conditions like that. You might also post on the PNW forum if you haven't already, some people there are probably familiar with your area's native plants too and they may not watch this forum as much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.