Overwintering Sweet Potato Vine / Propagation

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

the last thing i wanna do right now is to start letting my spv go to sleep for the winter......but i am reading that is what i need to do to have it for the spring....SO, my brain said lets do cuttings also, and grow the thing indoors and i am reading that they dont do so well indoors....my question to you is :

1. if i take cuttings and root them in soil will they last all winter like coleus ??

2. will the spv grow all winter in my sun room??

3 should i bite the bullet and just start letting them go dormant??

4 any other suggestions??

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

no ansers but am waiting w/baited breath for an answer to you since my lime green one was taking over so yesterday I cut many of the runners off (and pulled those that had rooted). still have lots of runners and roots so .....

Ann

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I am also interested in the answer. I did some cuttings and they rooted so easily, but I would like to keep it looking good during winter. Someone out there must have an answer for us. Surely they would do well in a sunny window indoors....
Rebecca

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Plantlady, are you going to be able to come to the RU? If so, could I beg for a couple of pieces of your vine? As for as that goes, you do live in Hou & I work in the county. (Lite bulb flashing) :~)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i found a great thread that had to do with spv, caladium, and other tropicals....

http://www.gardeners.com/Overwintering-Tender-Plants-/default/5019.page?SC=

it sounds like to me that i can do all of the above in initial thread but am waiting for someone to come hold my hand and tell me it is ok to do

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

then i have this same thread in propagation forum where a true guru said the following:

they should do fine in yr sunrm. I would start with the top-cut aabout 4" down and take off all but the top 2-3 leaves and stick in wet dirt. then work your way down the stem and in 4" pieces-do the same thing. leave the top leave of the stem cuttings. The more you cut them back, the thicker it will get. So when the cuttings get longer, cut them and make cuttings from the tops.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Would love to come to the RU but my health has been iffy since I had a couple of major surgeries - one in Nov. '05 and the next in Mar. 06 for the same thing. Won't say what it was just that I have been keeping the Depends company busy so use your imagination. Its not cancer or otherwise life threatening - just painful. So, too, if I seem mean or witchy it's probably because I don't feel well that day. Would hate to be feeling bad while meeting all you nice folks.
I live in a SD about a block from Katy and 2 miles north of I-10 at Fry if that's anywhere near you.
What's a sunroom? We don't have any shade!

Love to all,
Ann

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

unfortunatly we can't grow ANTHING in the house - we have those infernal black screens on the windows that keep out the heat and LIGHT. The only thing I can grow indoors is Lucky Bamboo - thaat's how bad it is. This plant I have survived the outside - north side of house in full to partial sun - is in a pot atop another pot for turned upside down so that the vine cascades - for 2 years now. I found out a minute ago when I went on line that it blooms! Mine doesn't and never has - I just like the color of the vine and its cascading to a point.

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.