Vine ID

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

I just went and paid my water bill, and saw this vine, I asked if I could have a cutting and she said sure and handed me a pair of scissors. I thought it was a great looking vine. John

Thumbnail by carrjohn
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

sweet potato although not sure of the variety

Ace of Spades

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you Marie, I looked it up in the plant files, and it is the Sweet potato vine "blacky" I really like the leaves. And it blooms!! John

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

It's Ipomoea Batatas "Blackie".

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I believe it is "Carolina Purple". I have a large one that I love!

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL - - three different answers in 2 minutes! I did look at the leaf shape and it does match Carolina Purple. I'll go look up the other 2 now.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmmm, the leaf shape on Ace of Spades is different to yours. I think coloring will be the deciding answer beween Blackie and Carolina Purple.

I have grown Blackie also and it is much darker than Carolina Purple.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree. I have blackie also. Dug him up and he's sitting in a nursery pot. Hmmm...maybe something for the SW Plant Swap in October! I would have submitted a photo, but BOTH of my camera batteries died. Ugh.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I have that vine which I think is blackie. Anyway I have taken cuttings off of it all summer. You will have small roots tomorrow and by three days you will have noticable roots. It is so much fun because you have an instant plant that you didn't have to pay for. I got a small cutting of Margarita at the carwash this week and I have lots of roots already. I have never tryed to overwinter inside. I usually just let them die and by new on next year. This year I am going to bring it in and see if it will make it as a house plant.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Neglected a tad.

Thumbnail by azrobin
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I think you have blackie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.