Recommendations for Hydrangeas Needed

Thomson, GA

I'm heading to McCorkle's plant sale Friday, and I have on my wish list a lot of hydrangeas, but would like DG'ers input on their favorite varieties. I tried a couple of Endless Summer on one side of the house this summer, but one died and the other is struggling, but looks like it will be okay. I suppose even my "morning" sun got a little hot for them, but I have two PeeGee that are doing great but never bloomed. It being their first year I'm not surprised. Now, I see all these nooks and crannies, semi-shady, in my yard that I think would be so pretty with a blooming hydrangea, but I want to make sure they will survive. What would you suggest for my zone7? I am not picky about the color. Thanks!

Susan

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Nikko Blue seems to grow great in semi-shade, mine gets pm sun and with 2x/day watering, it gives me the hugest blooms. All my others are new this year so I can't give you the final answer (NB is at least 5 years old). I have Forever & Ever Radiant Red, Amethyst, Brestenburg, Limelight (a paniculata), Bluebird, and Preziosa. The last 2 are in a shadier area than all the rest.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Susan, just seeing this message - envious that you're so close to McCorkle's! I know it's late, but if you have the opportunity to check out the gardens at the Center for Applied Nursery Research http://www.canr.org/ right next door, you can see some lovely specimens of Hydrangeas displayed there and might help you with future purchases.

Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.