Okay a Problem

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

This is a decidious shrub, and something is eating on it. What is it and what do I do?

Thumbnail by defoecat

Help, peps, I am loosing 3 of these. I need to know what it is and what to do for it.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Picture is blurry, but is that scale? Can you pop it off with your fingernail? And is it eating the plant, or sucking the juice out of it? Scale sucks the juice. Horticultural oil is used to suffocate the scale when the eggs hatch (under the protected scale) and the crawlers are moving about (very tiny). You will need to reapply each week to 10 days for two or three times. The dead scale will not fall off. But it will discolor. If this is a deciduous plant, you may want to pick up all the leaves and trash them, to help prevent reinfection next year.

Thanks, ceejaytown, I will spray it this morning. It sure looks bad.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

defoecat ..

ceejaytown's right.

It's probably Euonymous Scale. It will inflict some gosh awful damage and will extend to some other plant species .. if an agressive (and continued) treatment isn't administered.

http://entomology.unl.edu/ornamentals/pestprofiles/euonymous.htm

- Magpye

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Scale was what came to mind when I saw that even though it's blurry. I've actually sat down with a sponge and soapy water and washed individual leaves that were not badly damaged on potted plants. Don't know if that's practical for you, but it works .. just remember to hose off the whole plant when you're finished.

X

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

From above - Horticultural oil can be used to suffocate the scale when the eggs hatch .
Neem oil , volck and insecticidal soap also work .
Neem oil [ lite oil ] , volck [ heavy oil ] make the leaves shinny and I spray the first time they say frost tonight .
Both oils will make some flowers look burned - my begonias , yesterday-today-tomorrow and a few others I can't remember the names of .

Thanks everybody. They have been sprayed with horticultural oil, and hope that will stop the infestation. I will be keeping a close eye on them, and reapply as needed. Don't want to lose them.

Well the spray regiment seems to be working. I am not seeing more decline, so will continue with spraying every 10 days to 2 weeks. Thanks guys.

Good to hear.... Scale can be tough.

While at Lowes today, buying more horticultural oil, they had preen on special for 85 cents per 18 lb bag. Get thee hence to Lowes!!

Not on StAugustine - which is what the majority of us have here....You probably have that gorgeous Kentucky Bluegrass...

Yeah, we have the gorgeous Ky Bluegrass, with crab grass thrown in!! Lovely to look at, but the dickens to erradicate.

Newtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Defoecat- you might be interested in this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/658510/

Thanks I posted there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.