Car canopy as a greenhouse

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

i just bought a 10 by 20 foot car canopy with 1"and 38 steel tubing for 79 dollars at pep boys.
I am using treated 2x6's for the base and i am going to set two 4x4 post in the center for support.

I will post photos with what i do and let people know the average cost when im done.

im starting construction tomorow so ill post in a few days.

Plano, TX

Let us know how your project is going- I am considering doing the same thing.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I will i promise. I will be taking pictures and building the frame and then ill cover it this weekend or mid next week but ill show my progress.

thanks

Jerry

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Is "pep boys" a website or store in your area?

Please don't forget to post pictures.

Judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Pep Boys is an automotive store up here. :)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Is this the type of car canopy that you are talking about?

http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2094490190prid-99798_-shelterlogic-all.fp

Jesse

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jesse, your link gave me an error message.

I went to pepboys.com and one of these is in the ad. It's on the bottom right of page one, if the link does not work.

http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2314792&rapid=314674&prvid=PepBoys-060917&promotioncode=PepBoys-060917&fsid=128034104649613932

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone it has been raining here and havn't started yet but it looks good for this weekend.

First off that is the one i am using but let me say that theese are flimsy and won't handle snow loads or high wind so i have to beef it up.

I will use treated 2x6s for the base and i will run 4x4s up to the top and run a beam the length to support the top and sides. Then i will seal the plastic with wiggle wire and frame up the front and back for more support.

I could have used a cold frame but i like having the side walls for benches.

I may have too much and need a bigger one now that i look at all my plants lol but thats next year. I think if it works out I may build another one next summer and connect them side by side like the gutter conect greenhouse but thats next time lol.

More post to come.

Jerry

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey BackYard i used a Car Port for a green hose for years it works fine regards Paul

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

Jerry I came upon this thread and wondered how you did with the gh. I'd love to see some pics.

Robin

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

i will post pictures tomorow. Im sorry all I have been alittle ill and neglected this post but i promise tomorow ill post.

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

My first gh is made of one of these canopies.

My dad is a welder and welded all of the metal framework together for me. Once everything was welded we anchored it down with moble home tie downs. We then boxed it in with treated 1x4"s and finished it off with opaque fiberglass panels.

It's been up and running for over 5 years now and has been through several minimal (winds 85-90mph)hurricanes with no problems.

dmichael

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

dmichel, any chance you can post pics. I'd love to see it.

Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.