ID Morning Glory?

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I have been seeing this red flower glrowing all over along the roadsides lately (mostly mixed in with the kudzu). Today I pulled over to see what it was. It is a morning glory...you can tell by the shape of the flower and the leaves (some are trilobal sme are heart shaped). The flowers area sort of red with a slight coral shading to them. Some of the stems have some purple on them. The flowers are really tiny. My camera doesn't take good closeups, so please forgive the blur. Here is the flower. Hope the photo posts...there seems to be some trouble today with photos posting....

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Well, the photo isn't showing up right now, but I imainge they will have the photos fixed in an hour or so. Meanwhile, when it does come back up, here is a pic that shows the leaves and vines.

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Darn, Bama, the pic didn't post- are they still updating the site?

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Must be, I sent an email abotu photos not posting. The pic should be up later...I hope. It is a tiny flower, about the size of a person's thumbnail. From the road it looks bright red...but up close it has a slight coral cast to it. The vines have some purple wherever the stems branch.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I will try posting, is it this.....

Thumbnail by AuntB
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Not quite. The centers have a darker red corona with just a hint of yellow deep in the throat. Some of the leaves are trilobal with just a few of them being heart shaped. Oh, and they bloom all day long.

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey! How come you can post pics and I can't??? Let me try again...LOL! Like the third time is the charm or something....LOL!

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey, it worked! OK, now here is the pic with the leaves and vine.

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

ARGH! (banging head against wall like Charlie Brown and the Kite Eating Tree)

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I give up on posting pics right now....well, maybe one more try...you never know....

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Woohoo! It worked! (doing the happy dance) Take that you Glitch Gremlins!

OK, so if anyone knows what this baby is, please drop me a note. Like I said, it is everywhere. Seems to love kudzu, but is defintely a morning glory with the combo of the trilobal leaves and heart shaped leaves...not to mention the flower shape.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Cardinal Climber??? Probably not, their leaves are kind of "feathery" if I remember... I'll be watching to see what you've come across...

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

My sis says it looks like the Orange Noah that she has.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Never heard of orange nova... the only other thing I could think of is cypress vine....

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

She said it was an Orange Noah...as in Ark. Can't find anything in the plant files under that name.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I googled, some peeps on GW have them on trade lists, couldn't find a pic, do you have one? I'd like to see it....

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Just the ones I posted.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Bama, I'm sorry. Not focused this a.m. You could probably go back later and collect seed. It is a pretty one.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

It is Ipomoea coccinea.
Here is a link: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/7876/
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.