When do we bring in our 'tender' perennials?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody--

This year I want to try to overwinter in pots in my garage and basement some 'tender' perennials and some tropicals from the garden--lantana and verbena bonarienses and then tropicals elephant ears (nigra) and bleeding heart vine, to name a few.

Someone told me I should start bringing them in now. I think it's too early and can wait a couple of weeks. Any thoughts for Zone 6a?

Thanks so much. t.

Athens, OH

EE should come in now if you plan to keep them as house plants this winter. If you plan to let them die back and overwinter them then they can stay out a little longer (but don't let them freeze!).

My tender perennials I leave out until I know we are going to have a hard freeze,

But the EEs are looking so Smashing on my front steps!! I can't bring them in yet!

And please explain--about the tender perennials--do I let them freeze and then bring them in or save them from the freeze?

thanks rox. t.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

You're still good on the EE's down here t.
Especially up near the house.
Wait for a good serious frost warning.
Cover them then.
We usually get by until mid/late October.
Up by Rox it will soon be over........ :-(

Ric

Athens, OH

T-
Ric is right. You should have some days of enjoyment left. But if the nights dip into the low 40s, I suggest you bring the EE inside at night and put them back out during the day. An alternative is to cover them with a sheet if it gets below low 40s. Remember to remove the sheet early in the morning.

Most tender perennials can take a light freeze (32-29F) unless there is a frost; then most will lose their leaves and they probably will go dormant but will survive. However, many tender perennials may not recover from a hard freeze

Thanks for the details. I will keep a watch on the nighttime temps.

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Most years my tropicals stay outside until mid October and sometimes later depending on weather. This includes my stephanotis which are very sensitive to cold.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

At least if they are in pots, they are easy to drag in. I keep looking at mine, still in the ground and getting back spasms. LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Gosh...you guys are lucky! I have just about all my plants in..well..except the ones in the barn yet...LOL. Brugs and bananas and elephant ears. It is going down to the high 30s here tonight...YUK!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I believe I might have heard something about a chance for frost tonight, but I went "La la la la la" and covered my ears.

I have three new container-grown Crystal Fairy roses in 16 inch pots. Fairy roses are supposed to be fairly hardy, but I think I ought to bring them inside this winter. Any comments?

Thanks,

w

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

FROST??????????????? EGADS!!!!!!!!!!

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!

Dusty

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I tried to ignore that frost business then hubby E'd me the weather report. I'm gonna have to hope for the best. I don't have time to dig up or drag it in and not enough sheets to cover it all. I still have about 50 tropical hibiscus that should have left town too...............sigh....

Cincinnati, OH

I have a question, then. I just bought some roses from a hybridizer at the fair. They are in excellent shape. He said to winter them in the garage, and plant next spring. My DH wants to put them in the ground. I want to too, you know, out of sight out of mind, I lost a couple last year. What to do?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well if it were me...and seeing you both live in the Cincy area...I would plant the roses outside...KayKay and Winging. I just planted an Iceberg rose several weeks ago and it has taken off really well. You can plant up till the ground freezes. Plants grow roots now.
My opinion.
Marcy

Cincinnati, OH

That is my opinion, too.

Louisville, KY

Its a good question as to what can still be planted. I have just ordered some Japanese Iris whic are on their way. They should have a good month herebefore frost. I hope they make it. I just couldnt resist them any more

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

IMHO:
This late in the year........
I would wait until the ground froze before planting.
Dig the holes now and wait.
Planting this late could start a growth spurt, roots, stems and leaves.
That growth will be too tender to survive a hard freeze given the short growing time left.
(the main killer of Fall Garden Mums)
If planted dormant they will just sit there all winter then take off in the Spring.
That's how we plant all our trees and shrubs from late season sales.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH

I never thought of that.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I intend to keep my fairies in pots, so I'm just wondering whether I can leave them out with protection or if I should bring them into the garage or basement. Dumb question here. What about light when over-wintering plants? When folks talk about using their garages, does that mean without light?

w

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If you are advised to put something in the garage, you would be 'storing' it (keeping it from freezing) and not trying to keep it growing. Basically you are just protecting it and not trying to create a greenhouse environment. I am definately not a rose expert. LOL If they are hardy but you just can't plant them outside, I would not think you need heat or light, just protection from the elements. I would also not put them in the garage until as late as possible.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I've brought herbs (I think it was herbs) inside before and had them send up whitish leggy shoots, which is why I was concerned about the light. But I suppose they don't go dormant like a rose would.

w

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I brought my first plants in today....a cat orchid that is ready to bloom [beeeautifu] and two holiday cactus [one is budding]. I have not yet brought in the plumaria, the bougainvilla, the lantana, or a couple other cactus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.