Barrel DIY EB Project

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Ok---I been thinking about making EBs out of some barrels that I have here.
If I don't do it , I will burst.
Anyone have barrels that are aching to use them for something worth their while.

My thoughts are: "The more the Marrier". But I could be wrong.
I want more soil and bigger reservoir for my tomato plants.
Trying to grow a very tall mater plant loaded with maters just to see how tall I can get it in a container. Will use Hog Wire and rebar to trellis it. (I'd probly be better off renting a BAck hoe and digging a hole) where is the fun in that?

Now to figure out how to set up this large diy EB.
I know the basics of an EB------just want ideas---plans---Group project.

Anyone interested. WE have all Fall and Winter to get it right.

I am thinking to use 5 gallon buckets in the reservoir area. Drilling holes in the buckets. Use one bucket as the soil wick and using the other bucket for support with holes in it that allows water to fill in and out. Using the lid of the barrel as the soil base that goes on top of the buckets. Cutting only one hole in the lid for the soiled bucket, one hole for the Pvc water inlet, and little holes for air---etc.......

Opinions----Jump right in here.

Happy Gardening.
Cricket

Lone Oak, TX

Hello Cricket,

in another thread you use 1/2 55Gal barrels for growing veggies etc. Then I noticed your postings on building eart-boxes. What is the reasoning for using the HEB? Seems like your plantings in the 1/2 barrels are already weed-free. Is it maybe because of ease of watering? Just curious,

Sita Brothers

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Cricket,
I'm not the expert here but I'll give it a try. I'm envisioning some sort of trough as your reservoir, with the 5-gal buckets sitting in the trough (reservoir) at spaced intervals to become the wicks. Since the 55 gallon drum is long, couldn't you cut it in half and balance/brace it on top of the 5 gallon buckets with holes cut into the bottom for may 2-3 wicks along the length? Then you could still cover it over with the vinyl for moisture control?

You're right. This will be challenging. I'm thinking a DESIGN CONTEST is in order! Start a new thread!!! OOOOOOOOOOh how exciting!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Where are you Cricket?

Judy

Greensboro, AL

There are a lot of people around here growing tomatoes in plastic drums. Good rich dirt mixed with leaves,compost,pinestraw and chicken litter makes a good mixture. I have grown some pretty good tomatoes in five gallon buckets also. You must keep them watered regularly unless it rains ofcourse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.