overwintering callibrachoas

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Just wondered if anyone has had success digging up / repotting callibrachoas for overwintering.
Since we had such a warm, dry summer (unusual for Seatlle area), the callies grew better than in past years.
I'd like to keep them for next year, but lacking a greenhouse, not really sure if it's worth the trouble.
Any thoughts / advice?

Thornton, IL

I love these, but I just buy new ones every year.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

can't do it here without a greenhouse either plus mine grew gangbusters on me this year and are way too large to bring inside. I don't think they would be very happy without the intense outdoor sun they got all summer either. New ones next spring. besides what if they come out with a new color?
martha

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Our summers are typically cool & wet - so they don't usually grow as large.
This year has been different - they're huge. I've never seen them for sale other than in 4' or 6' pots.
Just thought I could get a jump on some of my containers, by digging/repotting/pruning for next year. I had no clue that they are little subshrubs - woody. They have not grown that much in previous years.
New colors = new purchase. I have a couple this year that were mis-marked, and were wonderful surprises when they bloomed. I don't know about your local nursuries, but here we have the standard fare, not a huge selection.
I have overwintered shrubs with success, just never tried these. I have a light system set-up, and heat mats. I thought it would be possible to keep them alive inside for a few months...

Thornton, IL

Well, it can't hurt to try it then. I checked my reference book, and it's not in there, so sorry I don't have information to share.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

PrairieGirl - out of curiosity, just how much variety do you have in the nursuries in your area? Do you shop online for plants? I've wondered what folks in other areas are treated to varity-wise, compared to what is available to us in this region.
Thanks for the encouragement to buy new - I totally believe in keeping the economy going by purchasing more plants!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I just mulch them good, put the pots near the house to protect them, and let them be.
The ones in the ground are mulched good and left alone. I did lose a real nice big one in the ground this past winter since it was so cold. But some of the others made it fine in the ground.
I don't repot them. I figure their root system are set and the more you disturb them, the harder it is for them to be overwintered.
Just my experience tho.
Carol

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Carol, for the info. I have to repot them as they are in some fairly large containers.
You are in a warmer zone than I am, but just for fun, I may pull one of the large pots up next to the house & mulch it to see what happens.

Thornton, IL

Katy - I overwintered a salvia guaranitica last year in the ground, on a south facing wall. In a pot, it would probably freeze. So that's always an option. I will tell you though, it took forever to flower (I didn't fertilize it), but maybe it's just naturally a late bloomer? I'm going to try bringing in a purple clover, oxalis vulcanicola Zinfandel. My grandma had one in a flowerpot in her kitchen once, so what the hey, nothing to lose! I have heard it's ok to bring coleus in as well, but they need lots of light, water, and pinching. I'm going to try that too.

I never buy plants online, and I dislike trading (only this one guy here has sent me awesome plants and bulbs). I need instant gratification, our season is so short as it is. I don't get to go to many specialty nurseries, mostly shop at Home Depot. Are you near Edmonds? I used to live out there. Wait, I was thinking of Snohomish. There is this one place out there I heard about, all chocolate scented/colored plants. That would be very cool. I'll post this and look for the link.

Thornton, IL

Here's the link!:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Yes, Chocolate Flower Farm is north of me, but I have never been there.
LOL re: instant gratification - ditto, here.
A friend had a salvia guarantica, and I think it's a biennial. It did not bloom until the 2nd year, but looked pretty cool when it did.
I brought in all my coleus -14 of them, last year. Most did well this year, but I also took cuttings, which turned out better-looking plants. We had some radically fluctuating temps this summer, & many plants suffered. Most are used to our cooler summers, so when the temperature jumps, the plants show the stress.
While I prefer to buy in person, if I can't get what I want locally, I'll buy plants online. I usually get my Cannas, Lilies, Iris, & bulbs online, too.
Thanks for the link - I'm going to see what they carry. Katye

Thornton, IL

Where do buy your cannas and bulbs? I love Brent & Becky's catalog for bulbs.

I'm thinking of getting one of the seed kits from Chocolate Flower Farm, or looking for the plants locally. I find the whole idea captivating, one of those "why didn't I think of that?" things. I also love angelica gigas, I think it's a biennial too.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I'll need to look up the names of the places I buy from - so far, I've had great luck & only a handful of companies that aren't oriented to customer service.
I grew angelica a while back - it's a biennial, and I did have little angelica babies for a few years. It's big & bold & fun to watch the bees on it while in bloom. Actually, I like to watch the bees on anything! I'll get back to you with the names...K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.