Japanese irises

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Iris City Gardens gives the most complete information regarding the height, season, etc. Is there any other source I'm missing out on to find out critical information for planting regarding height and season of bloom for each one? Thanks for any and all help.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl,

I don't know the answer to this, but am hoping other companies do give that info also.

To me height and bloom time is important. Important to my placement of the plants.

I know in the Ensata Gardens catalogue it says height can vary greatly dependent upon growing conditions, however I would like to know if the iris is genetically tall or short.

Glad you asked the question.

Polly

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I don't know a source, but I have taken my JIs with me from place to place for 25 years and visited the Schafer/Sacks field through the years and the same plants can be so many heights!!! Fertilizers (heavy feeders), acidity, sun all influence height. Not sure about water although everyone says they are best with lots of water. They get the same water as all my plants here. I do know that my Prairie Twilight always towers over the rest under many conditions. I have them in their own bed so timing matters less.

Polly - Pink Lips is 18" and Acclaim is 48". They really do a disservice to us when they refuse to list the height. I'm continuing my search and will contact each company if need be to see if they have a master list.

I have three beds of them, boojum, but 18" just doesn't get noticed behind 36" or 48". So annoying.

I would think the hybridizers know best. My 2 cents.

Just found heights shown on All Things Iris.

I agree-I have moved them around for heights in one garden but it takes a few years after a move to get back to the mature flowering.

I only have them 2 deep now in lines so you can view them from several perspectives. Can your pathways change so you can see both front and back? Prolly not if you have paths like mine.

I certainly understand your frustration!

Congrats on your find. We will all use it I'm sure.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Even if they would list them as short, med and tall. I understand what Ensata Gardens is saying, however you can't make a 18" one grow 48".

I ordered a group of Ensata Japanese Iris this year, and asked them to send me ones that were genetically tall, as I wanted them for the mid border, and they did.

Pirl, maybe you can start a database for this, I would sure love it.

Polly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl,

I just looked on the society for Japanese Iris, and they do have a listing of iris that includes height and bloomtime. Geesh, I can't believe I never saw that before. Now I guess I should join that society just for their time to put all that together. I just joined the sib and species this year. I feel we need to support these things.

Anyway, take a look. It's under the checklist
http://www.socji.org/member_services.htm

Polly

You are wonderful. I emailed three places this morning for some kind of a list, even willing to pay for it. Frustration makes us do odd things.

I'd gladly post a photo of the garden where I just had to move plants (too tall for the front but how could I have known?) but there's some kind of glitch that prevents my posting photos today. I'll give it one more try.

Then it's off to the link: thank you so much pollyk and I WILL join the society if the list is a good one.

Thumbnail by pirl

Nope. Not working today.

Polly, great find!! Eventually I will be putting JIs into the garden or expanding my rows to 3 deep as I get more. This information will help us all!

Now if only I could find out what height the ASTERS will end up!! (I go where they sell and they don't have a clue. I have 3 different heights on them when they reach maturity.)

New England Asters I have and could go measure if that's one of your three.

I have many asters-mostly tall-many NE asters, some from roadside and some are hybrids. I also have purple dome, short, which is not yet in bloom. I'd like another that size but can never tell what the beautiful farm stand ones will become. I know I can cut them to keep them small, but I would like to have it just grow to the right height without extra work. I planted Prof. Kippenberger years ago (small) but they are struggling in too much shade (this is the spot I was going to fill). I bet I should just put another small, part-sun perennial in the same spot and put asters where they can grow tall in full sun. (Thanks for listening to my problem-solving rant.) Didn't mean to take over the JI thread.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Asters- and to top it off- most growers pinch them like mums, therefore you won't know the correct size for a year. But I love 'em.

Pirl, would love to see that photo when you can upload it.

They pinch them 3 times they told me!! I'd love to see it too.

boojum - how about some of the newer sedums? Frosty Morn is beautiful and you'd know the height right from the start.

polly - I went to the link, got the height and season for every JI we own, joined the society and the round robin! You've given me a terrific, fantastic two hour vacation. I'll dmail you.

I'll try the photo again, just in case Dave fixed it. IF it worked it's when we were working out the details of the garden and setting them in place, last fall.

Thumbnail by pirl

It's truly maddening! I have gone to Dave's Garden and others are having the same problem.

As far as pinching goes - what boredom!!!

October 2005 - starting over with both oldies and new ones, not yet arrived.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here you can see how the JI's that arrived and were planted, after the above photo was taken, have obscured the Japanese maple and the birdbath. Now they've been moved and it's easier on the eyes (to me).

Thumbnail by pirl
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Looking good! Poor little Jap Maple. lol

'Garnet' is so much nicer looking when it's not crowded.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.