cactus

Ellijay, GA

I have a cactus I bought in florida planted in the ground. It has done well all summer but i'm not sure if the winter here in north ga will be to cold to leave it in the ground. I'm not sure what the name is but it has small paddles which others keep connecting on to them and they are smooth no pickers. They also grow purple flowers. Should I take it out of the ground for the winter?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like opuntia (prickly pear). I have one that is hardy with large yellow flowers. I've also seen giant ones in some yards and I know they don't remove them for winter. What you can do is remove a couple of pads and root them in fast draining soil (lots of sand) and leave the rooted part outdoors. That way you can test for hardiness but also have some insurance in case it's not.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was on a garden tour here in Atlanta on Saturday and one of the gardens had a lovely 'southwestern garden' area. I was most surprised to see so many plants I never thought would live here.

Thumbnail by sterhill

You should check out the following places as well:

Atlanta Botanical Gardens has agaves and cacti outdoors but on raised berms.

Plant Delights Nursery has pushed the envelope on a lot of tropical plants including cactus and succulents (mainly agaves).

I myself had an old man cactus that survived the winter years ago but then collapsed when we had a "freak" snow in early April. I thought that was strange that it was solid through many 20 degree nights and colder but then fell over after the snow melted. I think the sap must've been up and took in too much water?

Here is a display at the ABG.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2006 11:34 AM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

One more picture from ABG. Looks like DG has problems with pictures today.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

My good gardening buddy in Grant Park has a gorgeous hardy cactus and succulents garden on her hill. With good, very good drainage, you can grow some unusual plants here!

GGG

What is the word on the picture snafu with DG? Anyone know?

Try this again on pictures

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

#2 opuntia

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

here's my Atlanta cactus pix again - see post above:

Thumbnail by sterhill
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Many cactus can take cold temps. deserts can be scorching in the day and then freezing at night.

It isn't the cold as much as the wetness that kills C&S whether it be winter or summer. Check out PDN and Ruth Bancroft Gardens for ideas on cold hardiness for C&S and how Ruth goes to great lengths to protect some of her specimens through winter - another true labor of love. She covers a lot of plants with a simple wood frame covered with thick plastic and keeps a six inch air gap at the bottom for air circulation but this is just to keep any water off the plants during winter. She also learned what plants could survive and which ones couldn't but has a magnificent garden (her garden has been in many magazines).

It is best to have a very fast draining soil (sand and gravel) and elevation (berms are a great solution) so the plants won't be sitting in water during winter (and summer for that matter).

Sterhill, what's the narrow leaf plant in your beautiful photo? Is it Nolanda or a type of yucca??
And I love that very smooth Opuntia. Gorgeous!

GGG

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have no idea what these plants are - they were a "Southwestern' garden part of a garden tour I took of the Chamblee Habitat Gardens. This was in the first garen we visited and a real knockout! http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/habitat/tour.html

It looks too narrow for yucca, it could be agave stricta or maybe nolina or dasylirion. I lean towards the agave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.