Unknown plant

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a cutting of this plant I acquired while working at a mansion garden on capitol hill in Seattle. It is quite exotic and has a beautiful fragrance. I can get a photo of the whole plant in situ if necessary. Anyone know what it is?
Thank you for your help,
Duane

Thumbnail by dan950

That's what it looks like to me, too.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I uploaded a pic of one called Brunette that looks just like that - dark foliage, whitish flowers with kink in them.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8b)

I think you are correct, I looked up a bunch of info and it all matches just what you said! Found out it is also called bugbane. Thank all of you so much for the help. Cannot believe how quick my question was answered! Pretty good first impression for a newby.
Duane

This message was edited Sep 21, 2006 6:25 PM

This message was edited Sep 21, 2006 6:25 PM

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I love the graceful curves of your plant Dan, and I've sure got lots of shade/partial shade for it. Johnny's is selling seeds. I'll see if it can be winter sown.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I have the cimicifuga atropurpurea and love it. Fragrant white spires on maroon tinged foliage. You need to keep it watered well during dry times or lose lower leaves readily.

Katymac, I've moved a plant twice, like a fool!, from part sun~6 hours a.m. to mid pm, to shade which is called for on the label. Each time the plant has perished in the shade in no time. So I'd go for part sun, just not hot afternoon sun as the bulk of sun exposure.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have several Cimicifuga Raemosa and they do best in Montana in the partial shaded woodland garden.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

It looks like it's finicky and very difficult to start from seed. Lazy S'S has several varieties but I haven't checked the Garden Watchdog for them yet. I love the foliage in the photos I've seen.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

These plants are buggers to transplant. I have bought several that never got out of the spring start. They require you to play opera to them about 10 hrs/week to stay alive. Once they start they are indestructable. (Key word is start). I recommend to buy a large plant and put it in the ground in June and baby it till Oct with Tosca and M butterfly. Then you can leave them alone.

Oh phooey, I'm just not that committed I guess. I definitely draw the line at piping opera to my plants. Maybe jazz, not opera. I'm a low-brow kinda gal. LOL

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well you need the emotion of an opera to get the plant motivated to survive the temperates of Montana. Opera did scare a packrat out of my car 3 weeks ago. Jazz has too many off notes to keep plants motivated. Sharps and flats are discouraging to a growing plant.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

My plants like country... loud country...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.