Compost weeds

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Well I had compost and manure mixed into my huge bed out front to prepare for planting in the spring - so organized huh? Well the stuff used apparently has "water weed' in it and it has infested 200' of beds. Arghhh. Way worse now - loks like ground cover.

Thumbnail by CricketCreek
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

What's water weed, I cant find it in PlantFiles ? I would take a propane torch, like plumbers use, and singe them dead before they grow

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

I'd need an industrial flame thrower mounted on a tank at this point. We've decided to spray RU, then double layer mulch to try to kill it off. Looks like we planted ground cover there now.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

my landscape guy cals it a water weed - i'm not surprised thats not its real name. Its some kind of invasive weed that apparently germinated when the compost mixed with soil.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Was the manure composted cause that is where most weeds come from? though seeds will often survive a pile that didn't heat up.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure - he bought it commercially and apparently this does happen on occasion. All I know is that he bought the compost and the manure from a major dealer here and they do not guarentee this form happening. Ther good local nursery has had this happen a couple of times to them as well. Just warning people that this is out there. I'll try to find some of it thats left to post a picture for people.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The arrival of weeds is a common occurance in any garden and a walk through the garden every day feeds the mind with pleasure and a chance to eliminate the unwanted.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

thats so pretty soferdig - but when it overtakes your entire garden in 3 days its just scart to me!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Can you just turn it under with a hoe? At this stage, that shouldn't require much human energy and is way better for your soil than round up. I am not familiar with water weed, but if you turn it under and it rots, consider it a nice cover crop. Just a thought.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi I'm new to composting course I haven't even really begun. I was wondsering if any one could ell me if the moss rose can be composted or would it reseed in spring where I would spread the compost. Frankly I have enough volunteer loss roses so if the seeds aren' going to die I'm not putting them in. I started out with just 5 container plants and now it has invaded 5 of my beds. I'm thinking I have the birds and squirrels to thank for that.

I get one thing NO WEEDS in the compster.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There is no way you can compost with no weeds in the composter so don't worry. Compost it longer than you need to and soon all your plants you want will be feeding on your weeds. Life is simple. Compost everything, but root stock.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Root stock is what exactly???? Stupid question I know but I'm gardening challeneged. Computer challenged, mechanically challeneged etc.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

What I mean is that plant that crawls, runs, and tubers is what I do not put in my compost. IE Bishops weed, Sumac roots, and sea holly because the root will propagate in the pile.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

And sweet potato vines tuberous begonias, that kind of stuff right? Gotcha thanks for the info

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.