new to composting

Camden, OH(Zone 6a)

I did start a compost pile when I own my horse Goldie. Unfortunitly he was lonesome so I gave him to a friend that had 2 other horses. Anyway, I have this "pile" that has sat without turning for 2 years. I would like to now "manage" it. What is the best way. I really want to buy a tumbler but.... finances!!!! I am thinking about making one out of a barrel. Any suggestions???

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You don't have to have a tumbler. In fact, if you don't get the right tumbler you are better off without one. I just turn it with a shovel. I doubt if your pile needs turning, though. If it has aged 2 years, it is what gardening books refer to as "well aged manure", just what you need for your plants.
What you might do is get the friend you gave the horse to bring you some more. Then you can mix it with leaves or wood chips or whatever you have, let it heat up, then turn it with a shovel.
I would be thrilled to have a two year old pile of horse manure right now.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree with pajarito, curl. It's probably perfect for use right now. I got a composter (plastic barrel sitting on a plastic jug that has rollers) and it has so far been a big disappointment. I'm having MUCH better luck with it on the ground. A barrel looks prettier by far, but it won't get the bacteria and worms and things stuff needs to make compost, and if you don't get the ratio absolutely perfect, you'll never get "brown gold" -- I've tried twice so far and have only gotten green lumps. You're better off doing the pile thing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.