How does night blooming jasmine do indoors over the winter?

Lindenhurst, NY

Hi, i'm in zone 7, I have a night blooming jasmine that was a rooted cutting in April. It is now in a put and got much bigger and bloomed...yummy. I would like to try to keep in overwinter so I can enjoy the blooms again next year.

Can you tell me how to do this? I don't have any grow lights, will it be ok in a south facing window? And what about watering?

I've tried to overwinter some plants that just weren't worth the time and effort. I managed to keep 2 mandevillas alive all winter but they were a spider mite magnet.

I finally just threw them out!!

Also, my zebria banana was a magnet for the spider mites. Anyone know if night blooming jasmine is a spider mite magnet? And how does it do indoors?
Thanks
Maureen

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I grew mine outdoors so don't know how they do inside but my guess is they'd be fine, give them a bright window and water them if they get dry. The grow lights aren't that important, if you were trying to grow it indoors year round and wanted to get it to bloom you might need something like that, but just to keep it for the winter the light from the window should be enough. As far as being a spider mite magnet, the real thing that brings them on isn't the specific types of plants you have (although I'm sure there are some that are more prone to them than others), but more likely the lack of humidity which you find indoors, especially in the winter. I would recommend misting your plants regularly and you should have less problems.

Lindenhurst, NY

Thanks very much for this info. I really appreciate it.

maureen

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I hope they do fine, too. I'm in zone 6a and they winter (outside) very nicely. I would like to know how they do inside....This is an interesting idea...

Joey

Lindenhurst, NY

music2keep - I thought night blooming jasmine would not survive zone 6/7 winters? am I mistaken?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

My sis has it on a south-facing wall (brick) & I'm pretty sure she doesn't bring it in, but I will check with her to be sure...She lives in Christiansburg, Va. (same zone)

Joey

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's overwintering well outside in zone 6, then I don't think it's the same plant that's usually called night blooming jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum). I think it may make it in zone 7, at least 7b (there are some folks on another thread where we were discussing this plant who were talking about theirs, although I don't know for sure if they kept it in the garden all year or if they pulled it in for the winter). But I think zone 6 would really be pushing it!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, this is hard for me to admit ~ But I was wrong! (as often am) She doesn't have a Night Blooming Jasmine; it's an Evening Primrose! So don't pay attention to anything that I said...

Please forgive me.

Joey

Lindenhurst, NY

Ecrane3 - thanks for the info.

Joey - you are completely forgiven :-)

Maureen

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Dang...here I was thinking...it's hardy here?!! Only one that seems cold hardy is the confederate jasmine...but I've heard so much about the night blooming jasmine's scent!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.