cloninig machine

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220027173893&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I hope this link opens. I have purchased one of these machines. I spoke with the seller personally on the phone and he assures me that with this type of unit,you do not need any cloning solution but rather a cloning fertilizer.

This is a very new process for me and I have no idea what to get or where to get it as far as a cloning fertilizer goes.

I plan to use the unit in the spring and summer months to root hoya cuttings.

Would or could someone who has experience using a cloning machine please advise me on what products I might be looking for as far as just a cloning fertilizer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I use a homemade version of this referred to by many at DG as a "bubbler". I never read of anyone using fertilizer, however I often add Miracle Gro. to mine, but I'm rooting Angel's Trumpets (Brugs), easy vines like wandering jew and begonias.

Judy

Judy, I purchased the one in the ebay link above. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I spoke with the guy who sold it to me on the phone.

he says since this system has an external air supply that pumps oxygen right into the water that i dont actually need a clonig solution but a nutrient solution.

It's been recommended to me to use liquid karma so I think i'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

dmichael

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

I've been interested in getting a cloning machine. Please report to us as you set up and use yours.

Thanks,

skyeblu

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

all i put in my cloner is a product called hydroguard.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/hydroguard.html

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/498781/

I have some hydroguard coming this week as well as some dyna gro.

Portland, ME

I have used fertilizer in cloning machines, the FoxFarm organic system, all at %10 recommended strength and it was great. It wasnt quite as easy to mange the pH etc as a cloning solution. Ihave not tried any chemical ferts for cloning and would be cautious. Most organic cloning solutions are just a very weak NP colution, the chemical ones usually have either IAA or IBA and actually stimulate roots. For the first try, just buy a small bottle of cloning solution. I have had best luck with either Clonex or Olivias and have experimented with almost all of the major commercial blends. I worked in a hydro store as a buyer and propagator of rare plants, and had all the brands at my fingertips.... Oh, and I have had the worst luck with Power Clone.

Aberdeen, WA

cloning machine conumdrum, need help. i have an ezclone cloning machine and i can't get it to work.

i take cuttings according to the ways i've read about.
1/4 inch below node, 45 degree angle, dipping immediately in clonex. the cuttings are 4-5 inches tall, a couple of leaves on top. i've read about wounding but haven't tried it---yet. the mothers are healthy, in vegative state. i have read something about the ma's shouldn't be hyped up with nitrogen. this could be a problem. i've been using a grow juice with lots of nitrogen. i've decided to flush with pure water a couple of waterings before taking anymore cuttings.
into the machine they go.
there are compact flourescents, a 6 bulb fixture. its raised to 17 inches above the top of the machine. i leave the lights on 24/7.
my ph averages 5.5-5.7, water temp--well i have a problem with that. it goes up, but on average it measures 71-78. air temp 79, relative humidity 48 percent.
i have a timer on the spray pump in the unit, i think the cycle is 1 on 3 off .
i'm using a root stimulator i bought from a local grow shop.
without fail 6-7 days in, no roots and the leaves begin to yellow.
i think that's about it.
any suggestions?
thanx in advance!

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

artfern

Run the pump 24x7 and just use plain water and about a cap full of hydroguard.
thats all i do in my DIY unit and i get roots on hardwood and softwood cuttings of
english lavendar in about 2 weeks. you dont need to use the clonex , it will just get
washed off.

I also make my cuttings so there are 2 nodes down in the cloner so my cuttings are
like 3 to 4 inch tall to start with.

herb related cuttings normally root in less then a week.

you can get the water temp lower by tossing in a soda bottle of frozen water.

I use well water in my machine along with hydrogaurd and dyna-gro plant food as a nutrient. I do not using a cloning solution. I spoke directly with the manufacturer of my product and was told by them not to use a cloning solution as it wasnt needed.

The pump runs 24/7 and I also have a heater with a dial controlled thermostat inside to keep the water evenly heated. it's just an aquarium heater from pet smart.

I've had very good luck using my machine this way and have had roots to form on hoya cuttings in as little as 3 days.

dmichael

Kansas City, MO

I bought the bubbler machine from Ebay. But I haven't tried cloning. I use it for seed starting. I love the way it works but realize I could make my own in the future. In fact, I will definitely be doing that one of these days.

I have some others that are just like it but sold as a cheap hydroponic unit. I'm working on growing spinach in it. I don't think I planted enough though. There's no real reason to have only one plant in each little cup. I just can't believe how much better these seedlings look next to the ones I planted in the little plugs that sit in shallow pans just to hold them upright. I planted them all from the same packages on the same day and the ones in the bubbler are tall and healthy while the others seem stunted.

Suzi

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

suzi,
When do you put your seedlings in the bubbler.........in other words how big are they.....how many leaves ect?
I would love to see some pictures showings the difference in size of plants grown using the bubbler compared to the ones started at the same time in shallow pans.

Kansas City, MO

That's a good idea for an experiment. I just took all the seedlings that had gotten big out of the bubbler because I wanted to remove them before the roots completely wrapped themselves around the little cups. I don't want to order a new set of cups now.

When I first received this a few weeks ago I planted seeds in the bubbler inside of rock wool cubes that were placed in each of the little cups. They were all zinnia seeds. The only difference was that all the ones in the bubbler were purple flowers and the ones in normal dirt were various colors. The ones in the dirt grew only about 1/4th as tall as the tallest ones in the bubbler. But the ones in the Bubbler were all over the place with some still only a few inches and some literally 8 inches and on the 3rd set of leaves now. I just put those nice big ones in a different hydroponic system.

Sometime in the near future I'll do an experiment. Right now I have about half those holes in the bubbler filled with some orange hybrid watermelon seeds. I planted these seeds in a variety of starter medium and so far nothing has come up even after weeks. I don't know if something is wrong with these seeds so I tried them again in the bubbler. The bottom of the cups can't even reach the solution of water. But it seems to create this constant humidity thing inside where the cups are dripping from the condensation. Some of the roots grow fast and hang down into the water but that takes a long time. Some of the rockwool has gotten too dry and needed to be watered from the top. The instructions that came with it said to keep the water level low while the seedlings were growing and not raise the level until the roots hung down. But with everything growing at vastly different rates of growth that hasn't been something I see as being set in stone.

Suzi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.