Charleston Gardens

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello all, my DH is taking me to Charleston in early November--never been there--always wanted to go. What are the must see sights in Charleston generally and from a gardener's point of view? I'd really appreciate your help, I'm not much of a traveler.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi,

Here is a link for gardens and plantations in and near charleston

http://www.sciway.net/tourism/chasgardens.html

And this link has a bit of everything

http://www.sciway.net/tourism/ea.html

X

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Xeramtheum. Have you visited any of these gardens?

Do you grow everlasting? Just asked because of the similarity of the name. I chose dayli because of the yellow, early blooming daylillies (lemon lillies)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Which one of the Plantations is where Gone with the Wind was partly filmed?

Queens English is bad today.

Lavina

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi,

Actually I haven't been anywhere in SC for sightseeing since I moved here in 01. Lol. I spose I should.

I haven't got a clue which one was filmed for GWTW.

X

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am not sure either and I have been to all of them. Middleton is my favorite with Magnolia next and I even like Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner although that one was better in the past Actually that is probably where parts of GWTW was filmed.

You will see plenty just walking around down town and peeking over fences.
The Sasanquas should be opening and there will still be plenty of blooming annuals in the window boxes. Too bad you are not coming until November; the Charleston Garden Festival is being held at Middleton 10/20 - 22.

My son and his family live in VIenna; small world.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia isn't there a unwritten rule concerning Charleston Gardens downtown? Something like, if you see the gate open you can go in and look if its closed stay out.

I actually found a link that says that but daves for some reason won't accept the link .. here is what it says:

Here’s a tip: if the gate to a garden is open, you are welcome to come in and stroll around, however, if the gate is closed, the family is not accepting visitors.

X

This message was edited Sep 21, 2006 6:15 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi X, It was certainly that way in the past but nowadays there are a lot of people moving in who do not understand or follow the old traditions. Some of these folks have taken offense at strangers walking in their yards. Sad, but the way it is now.

There is a tiny but charming garden behind a church downtown. Of course I can't remember which one it is. Dayli, do pick up some info at the Visitor's Center; there might be some fall home and garden tours on.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the advice and information, ardesia. I've sent you a D-Mail. I'll let you all know how my trip turns out.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Perhaps we could meet for lunch in Charleston if you're interested!

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I believe that they filmed for GWTW at Boone Hall Plantation. Unfortunately, Hurricane Hugo took out many of the large Oaks.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

If you want to see really large oaks,make your way up to Brookgreen Gardens.It is about about 80 miles north of charleston and well worth the trip.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nancy, I've actually seen Brookgreen Gardens! That's why I have high expectations. Almost made it to Charleston several years ago.

Lunch sounds like fun X. I need to find out exactly when and where the conference is though.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That would be great! Just let me know when.

X

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Charleston has interesting architecture, friendly people, and beautiful gardens even in November. X and I got together, had a great conversation and exchanged plant and seed favorites. I loved Charleston!

Thumbnail by dayli
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

T'was great to meet you!

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.