rusty newbie

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone,
Been semi lurking for a bit. We just sold our house in California and closed on our new house in South Carolina. We move mid Oct. The new house came with a horse :-) I am still in shock that I'm a horse owner. My daddy never said yes to that pony I wanted. Long story short, we are moving with a family friend, Judy, who my 5, almost 6 year old daughter calls Nana. Judy just got there yesterday. Our new house is a two family home, 10 acres and a barn. Thumper is a 12 year old QH who hasn't been ridden since I "rode" him last Oct. He took exception to the bit they had on him and the more I tried to stop him, the more he tried to get away from it. I finally bailed off of him. I rode as a kid and teenager on a regular basis but had not ridden in many years until then and am very rusty not to mention I've never owned a horse. 4 dogs, but never a horse. The previous owners of our house moved right down the road so they are our new neighbors and are currently boarding their horses in our barn until they clear their new land and build their own barn so they will be close for help and advice. They sent a trainer over this morning and he took Thumper with him. He's going to work with him until we get there next month then I guess talk me into lessons. I'm not really intestested in doing more than just pleasure riding; it's my daughter who I plan on spending the money on in lessons, so I just plan on refreshing basics or whatever he recommends I guess. My daughter, Abby, will be 6 in December and has been taking lessons since she turned 4 and everything is about horses to her. One of the reasons we decided to move to horse country. We need to find her a good horse once we get there also. Anyway, just wanted to briefly introduce myself and Thumper as I'm sure I'll be posting in about a month's time with the subject "help" over and over again :-)
Attached a picture of me and Thumper, about 10 mins before I jumped off at a full gallop. I think I still have a bruise on my tailbone a year later :-)
Kristen
ps only reason I didn't have a helmet is because we flew in to see the house, I had no clue they were throwing a horse in with it or that they'd offer to let me ride him...I couldn't turn it down.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!