safety of harvested rainwater for container-plants

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi--
I haven't noticed this question addressed yet.
I'm a newbie at harvesting rainwater for my container plants--so far, I'm just putting out 35-gal. plastic trash barrels to collect rainwater from my downspouts. I've noticed that the collected water is a very light brown; I'm not sure if this caused by dirt on my roof, or because the rain water runs off my asphalt tile roof shingles, and collects something "chemical" from them. My question: is this collected water safe to use in my containers? I notice the same phenomenon in the water I collect that runs off the cedar-shingle roof of my potting shed.
Just don't want to be giving my beloved plants something unhealthy!
Thanks in advance,
Emily

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I water from rainwater runoff and have never had a problem in this area. I do notice sediment settles in the bottom of the rain barrel. I think the discoloration is caused by dust or other trash (like leaves) on the roof. The plants enjoy the chemical free water. One of the roofs I collect from is shingled, the other metal. I don't think you would have a problem using it on your plants. pod

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, podster. You have relieved my mind and encouraged me to put out more barrels for my collection! I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
--Emily

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

You are welcome. You know, I many times think the rainwater would be far safer than our "city" water at work. Sometimes when you flush, the chlorine burns the nose... I would take acid rain anyday. : ))))
There have been many discussions skirting this topic. One DG'r had bad water and was looking at storing rainwater for winter so it wouldn't freeze. Many options and much we do for our plants. Good luck! pod

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.