spinach and e-coli

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know whether composting will kill e-coli that might exist in manure?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

E coli requires specific environment to survive. So it could survive in the manure throughout composting. High temps help eliminate many of these. But right now you have e coli on you hands, skin, and many unmentionable places. They are everywhere and our body is tuned into destruction of them unless they are new and unique. Hence spinach always has had many bacterias. Every mouthful we swallow, every breath we take and every contact we make share bacteria. The only difference is there is 24hour news and something has to be new and fearfull.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I completely understand about the prevalence of E. coli, and I am not worrying about it at all per se. I plan to compost my cat's litter, though, in a different area than my regular compost pile, and I haven't decided how long I'll wait before I'm ok using it on the soil that I use to grow flowers. I'm ok with horse manure, which is vegetarian, but a little less certain about cat poop. I'm guessing/hoping a year should be fine.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I do it all in the same compost. Parasites are a concern for women who might get pregnate if they unexpectantly injest the toxoplasma oocysts. But otherwise I am not worried./

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

No one pregnant here!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Soferdig, Is it alright to add pet wastes to compost? I thought this was a no-no? Right or wrong? ~~~ Carol

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I do but I first mow over it and collect it in the leaf bag. (breaks it up better) Again refer to above concerns about toxoplasmosis and pregnate women. Otherwise just hose or rake it into the lawn. I do both.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.