Compost Protein Shake?

Lake Dallas, TX

I have noticed in N Texas that the air is too dry and compost doesnt break down unless theres a lot of water. If I put a gallon or so in a day and turn it, it helps out a lot. I'm not sure if thats too much water, but my house is new, and my builder basically leveled the yard with sand and clay mixed with asphalt and brick scraps. I'm also finding that the larger scraps I throw in the pile atract ants, which i'd rather not have.

So heres my question:

The small kitchen scraps, like celery butts, carrot stubs, brown lettuce, cilantro, tomato cores, and onion skins that are attracting ants. Would these break down faster and with less water if they were diced or even put in a blender? I was imagining a protein shake for the compost pile. I could mix in corn syrup and meal to sweeten the blend and aid in micro metabolism.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's like your digestive system. Chewing starts the process, and you finish it up internally. Blend them, but before that, as you collect them, save them up in the freezer. It gets it started even quicker.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I would think that that corn syrup would add to your ant problem....start an indoor vermicomposting bin that would really benefit from your protein shake.

Lake Dallas, TX

I was under the impression that corn syrup increased micro activity not macro.....?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ok tobydmv spread some corn syrup on you and lay down near an ant hill. You will feel the macro pretty quickly. LOL Every one likes carbs even micro and macro organisms. Water is your friend if it has a place to go in the pile. IE down. Bacteria etc can penetrate the carbon material and eat it quicker moist. The only problem with too much water is lack of Oxygen. Anaerobic break down is not favorable. Hence turning the pile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.