Starting over

Phoenix, AZ

I recently moved from a home where I had established (barely) iris. I dug some of them up to take with me to my new home. At this time the bulbs are not planted and have 6-8 inch long roots coming from the bulbs.

When I purchased the original bulbs from Shepard's Iris Farm in Phoenix I remember seeing Mr Shepard pull the roots from the bulbs before he bagged them for me.

Before I replant my bulbs at a mound location at my new home should I break off the existing roots? When do I fertilize?

Thanks for any advice regarding replanting bulbs. Starting from scratch.
~Aguane, Phoenix AZ

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

No, do not remove the old roots. Even if they are completely dried up and dead, they will still help anchor the plants in place while the new roots are growing in.

Fertilization depends on the current condition of the soil in the new planting area. Have a soil test run by your county extension service. It will determine what, if anything, your soil requires for optimum iris growth. Remember that overfertilization can poison your plants and soil, and underfertilization can leaves your plants lacking for essential nutrients. It's best to know what you're starting with in terms of soil fertility before adding elements.

Laurie

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

sounds like Spuria iris alot of growers ship them with out roots

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.