I'm ready to turn my new hot pile

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all --

I am starting a new thread because I want to turn my new hot pile tomorrow. I can't sink my arm deep enough to see how hot it is in the center, but 11 inches in, it has cooled.

Can you just tell me the object of the game? Is it to aerate the pile? Or to mix up the stuff that hasn't composted well with the stuff that has composted well? Do I basically want to put the stuff that's currently on the outside perimeter on the inside, and what's on the inside to the outside? (it's hard for me to write what I mean.) I am planning on moving the whole pile off to the side to make room for the real leaves that are starting to fall, so I can do any or all the previous.

I am very excited about this, so nothing is too much trouble or too much work. It has decreased in volume by half, which is a little discouraging, even though I knew it would happen. I now have about a wheelbarrow and a half from my 3 wheelbarrow pile. Am I supposed to add anything? Water? I have some milorganite somewhere around here, and some other stuff like bonemeal, but that's about it.

Thanks!

Suzy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Good work Suzy! When I move my piles I do exactly what you are thinking. The center is done and contains all of the gold and the outside is incomplete. I just dig out the pile and mix evenly all the old and new, outside and inside. Oxygen is automatically added. I also look at the material and learn what is growing and moving in each part of the pile. IE worms, centipedes, pill beetles, etc. Also what color, smell, and texture the gold has. That gives me a handle in the future about when a pile is done and when not. I don't use a thermometer.

Thanks, oh and I had one more question:

Which part of the new pile should be on the bare ground? The uncomposted or the composted? I also might have some kitchen scraps in there. I was thinking there might be something special about microbes or other organisms having access to actual soil.

Suzy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

It doesn't matter the microbes move into favorable material immediatly. They don't need to travel except when the pile first starts. You can't stop a microbe except make their environment unlivable. No where in the compost does that occur.

Well, darn, I went to turn my pile and it was still hot inside, about a foot from the outside.

How long is this dang thing gonna take to cool down? It's about 2 cu ft. Although I know I reported a smaller pile, I seriously got looking at it and it's 2 cu ft. And I also realize you can't give me a date, I just wanted to about it.

Oh, and whatever idiot said she wanted to turn the pile -- that nothing was too much effort, blah - blah - blah -- ignore her. She's delusional!

Suzy

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You probably will want to turn your pile eventually, but you have what every gardener dreams of -- a compost pile that heats up! When it cools down turn it. In the meanwhile you can relax knowing you did it right.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sleep and dream wonderful thoughts about beautiful Dalhias, Mums, Vegetables that sing all night long in anticipation of the meal to follow.

Thornton, IL

dumb question. What did you put on/in the pile to start with? I have tons, well almost, of leaves and grass clippings. What else, besides the odd egg shell or coffee grounds, goes in there? In real life, not theory, what do people actually do?

Hi PrarieGirl,

I'm a real person, too!

This time of year is the only time I can have a hot pile...grass and leaves get mowed at the same time in a perfect hot-pile proportion.

I mix the grass clipppings and leaves in a ratio that "looks good" and get some coffee grounds from Starbucks to mix in. I add soft clippings from overgrown annuals or deadheaded flowers, plus the stuff from salad or vegetables we don't eat....carrot stubs, broccoli stubs, outside leaves of lettuce, strawberry tops,,,you know.

Most of the year I just have a big leaf pile -- same stuff goes in, but I'll add braches and harder cuttings because I'm not in a hurry for the leafmold and a lot of times I sift it (strain it?) through 1/2" hardware cloth.

I also put in dead flowers from the vase.

When I put compost in, I dig a little hole in the side of the pile.

Suzy

Thornton, IL

Thanks suzy for your reply, I see you took what I said exactly as I meant it. Not to imply that anyone here wasn't "for real" LOL. I've got a great start then, can't hardly wait!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

PGZ you need to see the thread on composting where the Equinox has an important role in composting. Mix the grass and leaves and act like a child or maybe an adolecent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.