Help on saving oil

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Okay, maybe this isn't that helpful, but my zone 5 family has this plan where we NEVER turn on the heat until the end of October. If it doesn't snow, we make it into mid-November with not turning on the heat. How do we do it? We wear sweaters and sweatshirts, long undies when necessary and at night, which for us is can be the coldest of times, we use down comforters which deflect the cold completely. To be honest with you, it really has not been a hardship, especially because we get a little heat during meals from the stove and because everyone knows this is our game plan to save on oil and extra layers of clothing for a couple weeks saves a lot of money for us. I'm really proud of our family for our effort as I know some people who have turned on the heat in September on a few days. In my zone, it's attainable if you are physically able and willing to make the effort, so good luck.

This thread has 21 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!