Concrete block containers for raised beds.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

There is one concrete block that is perfect for a raised bed or pot. It is called a column block. I got a great deal on them and bought all they had at a dollar each.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

You can stain them

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is a bed I just put in.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is a retaining wall terrace done this summer. Need a few plants. LOL
Blocks are locked together with a concrete locking block that fits in the slot on each side of the block.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Horsens, Denmark

Oh wow that is a great idea, looks very pretty :o)

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

That looks great, I have an old wooden retaining wall / planter that I need to replace and may try something similar to what you have done.

somewhere, PA

wow! what a terrific eye you've got. I was kind of skeptical when I saw the first photo but
your result is just spectacular!

Tam

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh I really like that idea!!! Where did you find the concrete blocks please? I can't even buy ugly plastic pots for 1.00 around here -and those that you stained look really great!

Thanks for sharing such a terrific idea!

~Sunny

Thumbnail by Hineni
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Blocks are 19 X 16 with a 12 X 12 opening in them. You can find them where they sell concrete and concrete block. Like here it is called Rustin Concrete.
They normally sell for around 3.00 each.

Was thinking of using a tuffa concrete mix to paste on the blocks to give them a rough appearance like this pot I made. Using twisted newspaper around the outside mold wall.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

How cool! Great job with those! I like the last picture.....especially the shallow container......did you also make that with concrete, TA?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Light weight concrete called Tuffa. Use peatmoss instead of rocks.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks TAR, I'll see if I can shop around :)

~Sunny

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Heres another flower bed with them not painted, I put in for my mother.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I never knew they sold weird concrete blocks like that.
Interesting. I will have to look into that myself also.

I am goin to make concrete block grow beds between now and spring. 6 of them that are 3x80 feet.
Each bed will cost $315.00---compared to 2x8 lumber price of $306.00. I rather spend a few extra dollars and it last forever. My grow beds are for growing Tomatoes (produce sales).

Happy Gardening.

Cricket

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Cricket go down to your local concrete plant and ask for a deal on blocks, they do not want. They have a large assortment of overstock or obsolete ones, they will make a deal on. The standard 9 inch wide block is 1.64 here. At 1.00 each you save 64 cents and get a larger 11.5 inch wide block.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Tar I really like the way you did your Mom's garden. I sure hope I can find a good place to purchase those here. We have a lot of terracing on our lot and these would really fit the bill. (although it looks like extra work for DH!) Right now we have old creosote timbers held in place with rebar; but the timbers are starting to break down in some areas.

I really appreciate the feedback on this topic.

~Sunny

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the concrete blocks here---8"x16" is $1.15.
And having a problem finding a concrete plant here too. closest one is 45 miles away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.