Hoping for a litter of Hydrangeas

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Ain't propagation fun! I have done a few things over the past few years. I got two cuttings from my Crape Myrtle to take hold, so I figured that I would set my sights on my Blue Bird Hydrangea. I cut off three of four shoots and ended up with 12 cuttings. I am using 4" pots, MiracleGro potting mix and Rootone.

- Brent

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Here they are in my "high tech" green house. This spot is shadier than in looks in the picture. I have had good luck with this basic procedure. I find that I just have to mist the cuttings about once a week. I will let you know how it turns out.

edited to add...it was raining out when I took the picture so most of the water you see is rain on the outside of the bin.

- Brent

This message was edited Sep 15, 2006 9:46 AM

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa
West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Brent,
I saw somewhere else that another hyd grower made a "hi-tech" greenhouse out of old soda bottles. Whatever works.
I have 2 Blue Bird bushes planted this past summer, looked so pretty (and hide the air conditioner compressor so well too, with Preziosa in between). If your spot is warm, you'll see roots in a couple of weeks, I should think. I rooted some Nikko Blue earlier in the summer, used Dip n Grow, no humidity tent, just daily misting, and they rooted in 2 weeks. What are you doing for them for the winter?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Winter? Yea that is a good question. If they all root, then I will have enough to experiment with. I could put some of them in a sheltered spot outside with the pots sunk in a bed of mulch. I also have a garage and basement that I could use.

For those that have over wintered plants in a garage or basement...do you have any tips? Should I let them go dormant outside first? Do they need any light?

- Brent

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi,
I gave my rooted ones away but when Iposed the wuestion to the forum, they suggested a garage. I have to protect hyds from winter where I live, your winters may be mild enough that the seedlings can stay in a sheltered spot, maybe south-facing, covered with mulch. garage for you should be fine too; I'd still need to add some protection for seedlings. Someone suggested a hoop-house too, I think it's like a greenhouse of sorts.
Beverly

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Brent....I am going to start following you around DG for ideas...lol! I never thought of the plastic container use! Have you used any of them for winter sowing?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Cool...I have a groupie! ;-) I have not used the plastic bins for winter sowing, but I could see it being a possibility. You would have to add holes to let some water get in and out. Also, the clear plastic bins tend to get a little brittle in the cold.

When I first tried propagating cuttings a few years ago, I used an upside down bin like that in the picture. I then purchased a bin with a clear lid specifically for propagating, but then I got a bunch of 4" pots and my clear lidded bin was not tall enough so I switched back.

- Brent

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I took the zippered plastic bag that my comforter came in and cut slits in it. Then I put my pots with my unknown hydrangea cuttings in it along with a couple of bent hanger "hoops" formed by sticking the ends into blocks of styrofoam. It's working great so far. I can unzip when needed to control the humidity, and it keeps the little ones protected from bugs and hard rain.

(I may have read about this idea somewhere on the forum, so if I borrowed someone else's idea then Thank you!)

w

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

So far so good...at least I think. After about three weeks in "the box" all the cutting were still looking nice and green and the ones that I checked seem to have roots forming (per the tug test). I removed the top and set them in a spot that gets a few hours of sun. This was about a week ago.

I am wondering if I got started a little late. Nights around here have started to get a little chilly. The leaves on my cuttings have started to develop fall colors. It is a rather pretty burgundy color, but I am hoping that they develop enough of a root system to survive for the winter. They might all end up spending the winter in the basement.

- Brent

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A group of us started cuttings last fall. Do keep them growing over the winter, under lights in the basement where temperatures are more consistent, if possible.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Do you think it would be wrong if when I put the kids to bed I asked them to include my hydrangea cuttings in their prayers? I was feeling pretty confident through the mild fall and early winter. At some point around December I sunk my pots up to the rim in a bed of mulch. Well February has been rather cold for the area so I am hoping that at least some of them have survived!

They did have a pretty good root system going...I know because my 2 year old dumped one of the plants out on the ground.

- Brent

By all means have the kids say a prayer to St. Fiacre, the patron saint of gardeners!

I wish you roots and success!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have been keeping an eye on my cuttings and I have new green leaves on 6 of the 12 cuttings. The stems on two of the other cuttings look green so I am holding out hope for those ones but the other 4 look pretty dead. My biggest lesson learned here is to start earlier. If I get some area cleared out in my garage next year I might try overwintering cutting in there...same with my basement. I am curious to see how long it will take to get garden sized plants.

- Brent

I'm sure I read that June and July are the best times for taking cuttings.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Exactly...NOT mid September! I am pretty happy because all 12 of my cutting rooted and even if I just end up with six surviving plants that is more than I can use in my garden anyway (the others would have been trade material). I took these cutting from plants at my rental property so I will have to stop by and do some "trimming" a little earlier in the year this time. Of course I would not try to root cutting from my 'Lady in Red' hydrangea since that one is patented...and I am always a good boy...BaawwHAHAHA!

- Brent

It's all part of the fun of gardening and the willingness to face a challenge, to me. I took my first cuttings in November of 2005 and about half looked great last March-April but soon they were history - even the ones with little roots. I'd try again but earlier.

Thornton, IL

Brent - It's okay to propagate a patented plant for your own personal use, just not to sell.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

BTW, I have growth from 9 of my plants this spring. I tossed the other 3 sticks in the compost heap. I had tossed one of the 9 in heap but I noticed new white growth that was buried below the soil line so I stuck it back in the pot. I will post a picture at some point this spring.

- Brent

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Actually if a plant is patented, all asexual propagation is forbidden, doesn't matter if it's for your personal use or not. You're much less likely to get caught if you're just doing it for yourself, but officially you're not supposed to do it at all unless you get permission from the patent holder.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.