Locust Borer (Megacyllene robiniae)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

The larvae can sure do some damage .. but it's a mitey handsomely colored/patterned bug!!

An excellent shot, to boot, Andy!

- Magpye

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't recall ever seeing one. I was trying to show someone my Mantis that often sits up there and saw this in stead.
Thanks Mags for the guidance. I have a few from this series, mostly from the same angle. It wouldn't move.
The Sedum really attract a wide variety of insects, fun for me and the camera.
Is this different enough to merit another entry?
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I would think, that it probably wouldn't matter too much, Andy .. for I'm sure that many of the images we've all submitted, may eventually, get re-arranged and/or bumped about. All we can do is try our best to make the correct ID, submit the info/image, and hope they're the correct names and acceptable images.

I'm just thrilled, that the BugFiles database has finally come to be!!

I've probably had more 'removals & edits' than most! Specially when I get in super-bug mode: for that's when it seems I overlook making sure that the 'Family' is correct, and not mistakenly carried over from the previous bug entry submission. Heck, I've even found some my own boo-boo's and misidentifications - and notified Ken. Of course, that's when *I'm* most proud of mahseff: means I mite actually be 'learning' something!! .. LOL ..

((huggs))

- Magpye

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow! I've never seen that bug before!

Beautiful!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mags, I know that you have submitted many images. Really great ones at that.
I have entered a few after carefully checking my info but keep getting 'corrected'. It's discouraging. When I can find another entry that matches one of mine, it's a lot easier.
Thanks Billy.
I've started a thread in Perennials about the 'Nectar loving bugs on Sedum'. If it gets interest I will add an image or two per day until my file is empty.
Andy P

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I know I'll be looking.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

((thank you, for the compliments .. Andy!))

And I've added, somewhere in the vicinity of another 350+ bug entries, since - and the #'s still aren't updating! I'm still @ zilch+one! Beginning to feel like a small child, and someone has snatched my tootsie roll pop from me! .. LOL ..

You know that we've gotta be keeping the bugfiles administrators running (virtually) .. I don't know how they do it: but seems they're managing to keep pace with everything, quite well.

I'm gonna have to go check out your new thread in Perennials!

Try not to be discouraged, Andy - just keep on adding to the database.

* Wanta chunk a quick 'howdy' .. to billyporter *

- Magpye

Edited: Geezers!! .. I'm going from bad to worse; in the unintentional omission of relatively 'portant words! My 'sometimers' is turning into, 'oftentimers' - much too quickly! .. (hee)

This message was edited Sep 14, 2006 10:58 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Howdy do!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Magpye, That Borer was back yesterday. It was warmer so it was more active. I got a couple of shots from a different angle. One pic has been added to BugFiles.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.