Not a canna, but still cool

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

This is the one sunflower i planted for fun next to my berry bushes just to fill in a big spot. it worked pretty good.

Thumbnail by MrEli
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

heres the flower close up

Thumbnail by MrEli
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

and now its done

Thumbnail by MrEli
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

it stand a good 7 feet tall and the bloom is 16 inches across.

well.... heres a picture of some pretoria to make this post more canna-ish

Thumbnail by MrEli
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I like to plant things for fun, like that, too. Nice BIG sunflower. The pretoria a gorgeous, MrEli.

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

thanks auntB. I loved watching it grow, it was fun. sunflowers are like weeds around here they grow anywhere given the chance, but never the big ones like that one. I enjoy them either way :)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i like sun flowers to regards Paul

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I love sunflowers. Last year I planted some in a container and they did astonishingly well! I got blisters on my fingers harvesting the seeds til in frustration I picked up my cat's metal shedding hoop and found it pulls the seeds out like a dream without hurting them!

Here is a picture of them in the container and the one on the right are my genetically engineered SunCanna ;-)

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

wow X! can i get some of those SunCannas?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

MrEli, I planted one of those huge sunflowers next to a mandevilla vine that was climbing a sheppard's hook next to it. After the bloom spent, (about 16" across) I noticed the mandevilla vine was using the sunflower as a climbing post too. I just left the sf stalk alone. Looks like the mandevilla canna used this huge stalk as its own. edit: well, I tried to link a picture of it but it didn't work.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 3:21 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.