Can You ID This Snake???

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

This is probably a harmless garter or rat snake, but I can't seem to find it online anywhere. Anyone know what it is??? I live in FL, so it would probably be a southern type snake.

It was in my pool this morning and we fished it out... it's now in a container until I can be absolutely sure it is harmless, then we'll let it go in the yard. It is might ticked off right now and is striking.

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

How long is it? I think that it's a Florida or Marsh Brown Snake.

I'd be mad, too, if you took me out of the pool and stuck me in a container! :-)

Here's a link:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/fl-guide/storeriadekayi.htm

Let me know if you think I got it right. If I did I'll be happy to hear that he/she is free. They are harmless and like your slugs and snails that you don't want.

Mark

For some reason my first link isn't working, sorry about that.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Mark and Equi - I think you both are probably correct. I figure with only about 5 poisonous species in FL, that this was a harmless critter, but I wanted to make sure! The little guy sure was spunky. I did end up letting him go before I heard from anyone because it was getting SO hot out and he looked desperate to get out. So I let him go in my flower bed after a stern talking too about not getting back in the pool. HAHAHA :-)

I don't mind having snakes around as long as they are not poisonous. We have a small pond/fountain near the pool and we do not run it often,,, thus the water is yucky most of the time. We've had several hatchings of tadpoles and I LOVE to watch them grow into frogs... reminds me SO much of my youth in the country in upstate western NY. Well, this last hatching of tadpoles were getting quite big and I walked out to check on them and there was a fairly large snake in the pond,,,, just having a blast chasing down and eating those tadpoles. He'd swim under water with his mouth open and just scoop them up. I ran and got my camera... took almost 70 pics.. up close... and the snake never had a problem with me being there... even stopped to pose. I finally figured out it was a Florida Blue Garter Snake... very pretty. Later that day there was another of the same kind of snake there, but it was A LOT shyer and smaller... perhaps male and female? After there were no more tadpoles, the snakes disappeared :-(

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd love to see some of the photos of the tadpole-eating snake. Can you post some? Thanks, Karen

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmm, let's see if this posts. Was having trouble getting a pic to post

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Let's try this one too...

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

last one... it's a Florida Blue Garter Snake.

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

These three pics are when he would stop swimming and "pose"... I'm pretty sure he was just resting though LOL!! I have some pics of him underwater swimming, but most of them are not very good.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great shots! Looks very much like one I nearly stepped on the other day. (I wonder if most garter snakes have that definite stripe directly down the top of their back?)

Shoe.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Shoe - I *THINK* so (about the stripe)... I read something about them this morning and I believe the statement said there were many different color variations but that garters were usually easy to identify by the three stripes (or shaded areas) running the length of their bodies.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great! Thanks! Now I'll know that next I see that snake I won't have to study it so hard! (Shape of head, are its pupils slanted, does it look hungry enuff to bite me, etc.)

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.