my place in ruskin 2 years ago

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

my place in ruskin 2 years ago

Thumbnail by phicks
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh those water oaks sure bring back memories! Just don't ever use the wood for fire.

X

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Did a tree fall?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That's what I was wondering. Spill it paul!! lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

that was 2 years ago after the huracane i was in there when that tree hit destroyed my place and my plants

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm thankful that storm didn't break your spirits because you certainly know how to grow plants. You're rebounding well. I wish you all the best in finding a great permanent place you can call home with enough land that you can plant you cannas in the ground. Keep looking and keep saving. You'll get it. Bless you Paul and Happy Birthday a little early.

Deborah

You're very lucky paul. Very lucky.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's horrible, but I see you've bounced back just fine....or maybe not, hmmmm.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i was siting in front of the window when the tree came in i had a 55 gallon fish tank full of babby angels about 500 the tank broke and hit my back knocked me across the room cut my back and arms some i had to climb out a back window me and my puppy. lost all my baby angels and all my adult breeder angels to. but i am still alive LOL

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, no, you must've been sad about the fish.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yes i had 35 pairs of angel breeders 100 male betas 200 females and close to a 1000 asorted baby betas

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Holy crap, Paul, you lost them all? That's awful. Are you back into it again?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

no not yet not to i buy a place with some land. i spent all last year liveing in a tent. looking around i was up in ma and nh looking around then i was in south Carolina then i came back to florida and spent the winter. i rented this place in jan. and started growing plants again

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That stinks, I hope you find a place soon, it's always good to have your feet planted. A tent for a year! I know why you'd go back to Fl and I don't, I would never want to go through that again, but then Fl is like nowhere else in the 48 contiguous states to grow plants (or fish for that matter!)

Good luck on the land!!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks like Hurricane Charley really got you, Phicks! My sincere sympathies about the house and the fish. I did K-9 Search & Rescue back then and saw fear in the eyes of the big burly tough-guy sherrif deputies in our taskforce as it headed straight for us at cat 5. Missed us and hit 18 miles south in the next county so we cleared our assigned route and headed on down to Pt Charlotte to do what we could. An amazing night I will never forget. Tough year. Thankfully, no landfalls this year. I quess you just never know.

If you're looking for land try this website:
http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucforms/uconline/uconline/searchv2/search_start.htm

justfurkids carol who recently moved from FL to TN

This message was edited Sep 27, 2006 7:52 PM

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your house and fish, Paul.... That had to suck really bad. We nearly had the same scenario here during the Blizzard of 1993 (which had wind speeds of a Cat 1-2 Hurricane, but the added danger of the precipitation being snow, which has a way of accumulating and causing stuff to collapse under its weight, especially when there's 6 feet of the stuff on top of it), and we had a row of blue spruce trees along the road beside our house. Two JUST barely missed landing on my room. If any of those 70+ foot trees would have hit the house, it would probably have looked like yours.

I'm just glad you made it out safe.

Thist just shows why, if I were to move to FL, I'd have my house built out of reinforced concrete, like they do in Japan..... Had at least 3 Typhoons hit Yokosuka when my ship was in port (and about 3 more that hit the same area when we were out at sea) during the 3 years I was stationed there, and two were Cat 2 and 1 was Cat 3.... The interesting part was that there was very little damage, and only 1 or 2 neighborhoods in Yokohama lost power for about half a day. The difference between Japan and FL is (1) they've been dealing with Typhoons (what they call Hurricanes in the Pacifac) for the past 14,000 years (give or take a few millennia), and they build for them... In FL, the zoning people and developers build as if hurricanes never make landfall, using the same materials and construction methods they use in, say, Southern PA, and on top of that they even allow trailer parks (aka Tornado fodder). What they need to do is hire some Japanese building contractors to help with updating the building code so that it requires all buildings to be hurricane-proofed like buildings in Japan are.

Just my $.02 on that issue, though

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.