CLOSED: Bug Eggs and did they hatch???

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I was cutting roses for a bouquet and on the backside of one of the leaves I found this egg cell.
I'm not use if it's hatched and would like to know what kind of eggs it could be.

I get a lot of assassin bug cells and they look nothing like this, so I'm stumped.
Good - Bad?
Gotta know quick because right now it's sitting on my kitchen counter!

Thanks for your help
Dove

Thumbnail by dovey
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Eeeeewwww!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

*LOL*
Oh you too funny!
I've been checking back every 30 minutes or so hoping for an answer and there you are with "Eeeeewwww!"

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sorry! But here I am checking back to see if someone knew what it was and it's just you, laughing at me, now you're gonna check and it's me again LOL

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Well you're right there... because here I am *L*
Although I've come to the conclusion that the little brown things are hatched mystery bugs.
I decided that because when I just checked on them there was another brown one on top of the white part.

I stuck them on the table top green house just in case they start to get active.
Sheesh I wish my hubby would hurry home.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

They ARE hatching (at an alarming rate) and it appears they are some sort of little beetle.
The question is good beetle or bad beetle?

Thumbnail by dovey
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Eeeeewwww!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL and L!!!!

I don't know what they are either, but I sure got a good laugh!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Now cut that out azreno... *LOL*

OK, I've been doing a Google image search and nothing looks like my guys
Wonder if there will be crop circles in the field tomorrow

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Can you see their little tiny bug legs Billy?
You think they are gonna unfold that striped butt and turn into a slimy slithery thing?

It would be cool to find out they are some super duper beneficial bug

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I wouldn't take any chances, Dovey...LOL cut off the leaf and microwave it!!! I think it came from Dr. Don's compost mountain !!!!!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

wow, those big old babies came out of those tiny eggs?? I sure hopeyou got a jar over those things, just "in case"!
Sorry to get your hopes up that you got a response, but I could not help myself and I a figure azreno has done it way more then me, so if you are gonna yell at anyone it should really be her!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't know what they are but they don't look good. You could ask Terry to move this thread to the Bug ID forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/bugid/all/ ... maybe you can getg a better ID there.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pudgy, that was my thought.

Since they were on the roses, I'm stumped. They are sort of icky/pudgy, yet interesting pattern.

I don't know how those dainty legs hold them up. Laugh!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are definitely not beetle babies - beetles go through complete metamorphosis and their juvenile stage is usually very worm or grublike....These are hemiptera or true bugs. I don't know which they are, but I don't know of any good ones that look like that, so I have to suggest they are not exactly the welcome kind...
But they are interesting looking!
CJ

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Eeeeeewwwww!!!!!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

They might be the nymph stage of Harlequin Bugs.....

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

You guys are cracking me up...

CJ,
Thanks for stopping in, they seem to be growing by the hour.

I wish I could get a clearer photo, they are very tiny, the black ball in the top of this photo is a peppercorn I dropped in there to give some idea of scale.

I gotta figure it out...
I'm off too Google Harlequin Bugs hatching

Thumbnail by dovey
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I think it's some prank Dr. Don is playing on you !!!!! I still think you should nuke 'em !!!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Eeeeeewwwww!!!!! Look at all those little legs!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

They're kinda cute, but then again, pretty much baby ANYTHING is cute.

K

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Tom,
thanks for the suggestion, I had no Idea there was a bug ID forum - I'll contact Terry

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey ya Jasp...
Dr Don wouldn't play that kind of prank on little ol' me...
He knows how weirded out I get over the bugs in my garden *S*

A big thanks to the Admin folks for moving my thread - you rock!

Dove

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

As has been previously echoed many times over (LOL) .. Duuble-Ewwwwwww!!!

Ya know, they are quaintly 'cute' - in their own unique beetley-buggy kind of way! .. (heehee)

My first thought .. was maybe some wee leaf hopper bambinneys .. for I've seen a slew of various leaf hoppers on my own rose leaves. But, I think leaf hoppers 'inject' their eggs INTO the leaf - not ON it; such as yours are/were.

But, by golly, dovey .. when you do find out what they are - please, enter those photos into the DG Bug Files database!?! That's just the sort of shtuffs the database is needing!

- Magpye

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Try this out: http://bugguide.net/node/view/11243

http://bugguide.net/node/view/9066

Read the part about the eggs down the page

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Claypa,
I spent a lot of time on that site... my eyes got buggy (pun intended) and I kept getting that creepy crawly feeling.
I think that the bug in your link is it.
When they first hatched they had reddish brown heads and black & white striped butts.
Now they are looking more black with just a touch of brown on the sides.

You are right about the egg description
"Keg-shaped" eggs are attached to the underside of leaves in double rows of twelve or more. One generation per year in North, two in south.

so I did a Google search for "Acrosternum hilare nymph" look what I found!
http://esc-sec.org/photo_archive/Heteroptera04.jpg

You're the bomb!
That's so much, now I know it's time to destroy... poor little buggers are toast.
A moment of silence please

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

OK Mike...
You win, I'm gonna nuke them

well maybe not nuke them... a little soapy water should do the trick

the bomb... I like that!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

one more EEEewwwww!!!!!

then a moment of silence

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This just in: An enormous ourbreak of those insects is headed straight for Mesa, Arizona. Plane flights have been cancelled and parents are warned to bring children inside. The pests are resistant to all known controls. A state of emergency has been declared. Run !

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I think they're baby volkswagens!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. LOL .. billyporter!

And to think, they will eventually become most destructive old volks beetle-bugs .. if not taken care of soon!!

- Magpye

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

*LOL*
Billy... Well heck I could have opened a dealership!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Magpye
I took care of them... they will never grow up to be a jetta.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!! Both of you!

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

RIP!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.