Foxglove

Lebanon, PA

Another of my favorites hope you like it.

Thumbnail by scarlet777
(Zone 4a)

Beautiful - could you take a pic from further away - I would like to see the whole plant. Do they grow well in zone 4?

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

I like the color. I planted some this year so will have to wait until next year for blooms

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

bensen, I just planted some of the purple ones, too. looking forward to next year. I love foxglove!
does anybody have any luck with the so-called 'perennial' types, like mertonensis?

scarlet, I have a watercolor painting that looks so much like your photo

gram

Thumbnail by grampapa
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Gram - I can't believe that you don't still paint! I think that is what you said on the Artist's forum.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Foxglove is poisonous, it is the source of curare. I love it but I have little children living next door so I don't grow it - even in my backyard - just to be safe.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Curare is kind of a generic term for poisons found in trees in South America, like Strychnos toxifera, S. guianensis, Chondrodenron tomentosum. Digitalis from foxgloves was used to regulate heart rhythm, but it's probably synthesized now, I don't know. I never heard of anybody getting poisoned from a foxglove, most poisonous plants taste Really Bad...

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Gram, Beautiful!

I've had luck with perennial foxgloves. Theyare not the longest lived but they hang around.
I have a bunch of little babies to get in the ground now. It should be a great Spring!

claypa - I googled foxglove and came up with curare. Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet - except at DG, of course. Now that you mention it - digitalis is what comes from Foxgloves - I knew that all the time and still wasted a google. Thanks for chiming in and setting everyone straight. That is the very best part of DG - real help when you need it. I don't recognize your "name" - if you are new to the Northeast forum - Welcome.

Thanks! I have a couple trays of foxglove seedlings I'm going to put in the ground this week, different kinds...
I live in Pa now, I used to live in Maine. (and other places) This forum moves a lot more than the mid atlantic forum, so I like to check it out, too. I just got back from Maine, there's some pictures in the vacation forum if you're interested. I think it's the first time I drove through CT without hitting a bunch of traffic!

You must have driven through CT at 3 am - otherwise we are a slow moving parking lot. Why don't you put a link into your vacation pictures for us to follow?

It was 3:30am.... I got lucky! http://davesgarden.com/place/t/649707/

Thumbnail by claypa
Lebanon, PA

Thanks for looking at my foxglove photo, actually it is done for this year. Have to wait till next year to get full picture. Gram I love the watercolor you are very talented I am also an artist. why have you stopped painting, although I have too. Maybe we could boost each other to get started again.

I forgot to say HI Scarlet! I love your glads... foxgloves are one of my favorites, I'm trying them for the first time this year... I'm curious if you reseed them, or just let volunteersgrow. One of the great things about dave's garden is the seed trading forum. I traded some columbine seeds for foxglove seeds, and I wound up with 6 or 7 kinds. I'm going to plant them in different places and see what works. One person I traded with grows foxgloves in Alaska, so to answer DawnLL's question,yes because she lives in zone 3! Between their cold hardiness and the number of seedlings growing, some of them are bound to succeed...I can't wait!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Glad you like the painting. Just don't have the time to paint now. Saving it for retirement. I used to do a lot of cross stitch & quilting, too. Hope to get to a quilt this winter after gardening season is over. Scarlet, now why aren't you?

Lebanon, PA

To tell you the truth gram I don't know why I am not painting just kinda of lost interest. But maybe will get it back with some inspiration.
Hello clay, it is nice to meet you, I am glad you like glads I find them one of the most rewarding plants to grow. I don't know why I just do. I actually have only one foxglove plant and I just let it grow. Can you share with me on how to get the seeds and where they are located. Haven't been on the seed trader yet, but going to look into it.
Hello to everyone who said hello, please don't think me rude just getting use to this forum stuff. Thanks again for all the welcomes.

scarlet, the seeds are in the dried flowers, they're tiny. They're even smaller than poppy seeds. Not having grown them before, I'm guessing that it's almost impossible for some of the seeds not to hit the ground and self seed.

They're really nice to "newbies" in the seed trading forum... ;>)

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I love the digitalis mertonensis -- I've had the same three plants for 3 years now and this year a huge bunch of babies (at least that's what I think they are!) ... maybe the big ones are pooping out ... but they are a beautiful faded strawberry color and don't get mildew for me ... no muss, no fuss ... the picture came out brighter than they actually look -- they are dusty rose

Thumbnail by crockny
Lebanon, PA

Thanks for the information about the seeds, but I am not a subscriber and I cannot join the seed trading, wish I could but can't. I love the strawberry foxglove they are beautiful crockny. You are right about no muss no fuss but I sure do wish they would last longer. don't you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.